New Motherboard installation

[crossposted:sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design ; followups-to:sci.electronics.repair

I went to Fry's to get a new motherboard, and installed it and it didn't work. I didn't have a clue, so I took the whole schmear down to a computer repair place, and for $45.00, he diagnosed it - I had apparently shorted out the new motherboard when I installed it in the old case, because one of the brass threaded studs was in the wrong place. I asked the tech, should I take it back to Fry's and not tell them that I blew it up? He says, "Of course. Take the whole thing - don't disassemble it (MB, CPU, and 512 MB.) just play the guy who don't know nothing: 'I assembled this just like the instructions, and it doesn't work. Can you make it go?'" So, I paid the guy for the diagnosis (actually, they only accepted cash, and I didn't have exact change, so the guy let me get out for $40 and I owe him five) and went back up to Fry's, and customer service checked it out on the spot - they have a test stand right there that you can walk up to. I was looking over this tech's shoulder, as she plugged in a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power supply, and it came up and the BIOS announced the RAM and that there were no drives plugged in, and there was no boot device, please press F1 to continue.

I'm gonna go back to that repair place who charged me $40.00 to tell me that the motherboard was hosed and it was my fault, and see what kind of deal I can strike, pardon the language.

Anyway, I figured out at Fry's that there's another connection I have to make, which I neglected the first time I put the board in the case, and the MB won't run without it, but the old case's power supply didn't have that connector, so I ass-u-me-d that I could get away without it. Please don't tell anyone I was so f**king stupid, thanks.

Anyways, I take out the old PS, trundle back on up to Fry's, and by this time, I've found the shortcut through the foothills, which is way more scenic and shady than the freeway, and actually I think I made better time - I go to get a PS, and they've got a 450 Watt unit already mounted in a case, for $34.99 plus tax. I got one of the droids, and asked, "See this power supply?" "Yes." "Can I get this power supply without the case?" "Yes, but it's more expensive."

In other words, the cheapest PS they had on its own cost more than one already mounted in a brand-new case.

So now, I have essentially a new computer for less than $200.00.

But here's the rub:

I've seen motherboards get screwed into cases on studs, which I have in the old case. The new case doesn't have studs, but it's got a bag of really nifty little pieces of hardware, amongst which are at least four little plastic standoffs, obviously intended to mount the MB on.

So, finally, to the question: If it were up to you, would you take the brass studs out of the old case and screw them into the new case, or would you use the plastic standoffs? My major worry, of course, is grounding the MB to the case.

The plastic ones will probably be easier, but if anybody is adamant about using the brass studs, I'd be happy to read it here.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I usually have one or two brass studs and the rest plastic standoffs. When you use a brass one, make sure you know what it's contacting.

Fry's occasionally has really good loss leaders on cases with power supplies in it. The next time the Astec Sonata comes up for $35 or so, I'm going to move my computer into one. Is that the one you saw? Is the deal going on right now? I only get to Fry's every few weeks (50 miles away) but there's a window of opportunity tomorrow.

Reply to
mc

The threads are metal-to-metal but the insulating washers keep the studs from contacting more of the motherboard than they're supposed to.

Reply to
mc

Inspect the mounting holes on the motherboard. The ones that are surrounded by a ring of metal/solder pad are intended to be grounding points and brass standoffs can be used. If any of the holes are just PCB, or have PCB tracks running near the hole, use plastic standoffs, or brass standoffs with insulating washers if necessary. In the latter case, it doesn't hurt to use insulating washers on the screw as well to prevent track damage on the top of the motherboard.

I'm not sure I like the idea of using nothing but insulating standoffs- there are surely EMI issues here.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D