New APC UPS battery charging yet drops charge %

I have had an APC 500 UPS for years. The battery started giving warnings that it needed replaced. I didn't listen right away and eventually the old battery caused problems. I ended up loosing two PSU's and having flaky results on my WIFI AP until I realized the problem was the UPS. So I removed the UPS.

I replaced the APC 500 UPS battery with a battery direct from APC. I let it charge for a day before putting it back in. It is now back in place and running. The APC software asked me if I replaced the battery and I selected that I had.

Now the battery is going from 100% charged down. Right now it is at

78% and dropping slowly. Is this normal calibration? I can't find anything about this on the web. I am worried that this is not normal and there are additional problems with the UPS.
Reply to
edavid3001

If I remember correctly, APC units do tend to do this during a calibration test, and it takes a while too, although I cant remember exactly how long. I noticed this problem too when I installed an apc unit and spent a few hours trying to get hold of apc to find out that this was indeed normal calibration. It should recharge again after it hits 0%. I wouldnt count on it for backup power purposes until it finishes its calibration though.

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Oh and by the way, if you disconnect the power to the UPS during the calibration, I seem to recall it will charge the battery to full and restart the calibration.

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Your right. That's what it did. It's now back to 100% and running normal. Thanks.

Reply to
edavid3001

Good, glad I could shed some light on the matter :)

p.s. please do not respond to this g-mail account - I never read it, probably have 54839589380 spam messages waiting for me.

Reply to
^Khelben^

Same here. That's about all I use this gMail account for - posting here. And signups with things that I thing will result in spam.

Reply to
edavid3001

May aeons ago I did actualy pride myself in having a gMail account at one time, and then the novelty wore off (within about a week). It's just whilst I was away from home yesterday I had little choice but to use google groups (although I supposed I could have used outlook express

*shudder*)

Mark

Reply to
Mark Fortune