Repair instructions for APC Back-UPS RS500

I have two APC Back-UPS RS500 units which failed at charging the battery. It was a capacitor which failed on both of them and I have also found out that this failure is rather common for this UPS. Here is my description on how to repair them. If you have a similar problem that the UPS seems to work OK with a new and charged battery connected, but fails after a short time (days) with the 'replace battery' light on, then this could help you.

Stig Vidar Hovland

Reply to
Stig Vidar Hovland

Sir -

Did you notice any leakage around the capacitor? In other words, is this another possible "bad capacitor" fault?

w9gb

Reply to
w9gb

"w9gb" wrote in news:UIWdnZzbJ9Ou1Q7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

No leakage. I think the failure happens because of the combination of high temperature over a long time and low quality of the capacitor.

Stig Vidar Hovland

Reply to
Stig Vidar Hovland