need tv help

A friend just gave us a Mitsubishi big screen tv. we can't get the blue to converge and the top of the screen looks droopy. we don't have a manual or a remote but would like to use the tv. Now we know why they gave it to us.

Reply to
sandy

Sounds to me it may need the purity adjusted, which involves adjusting the yoke coil. If you are not technically adapt to do this, take it to a repair shop. It is really a simple procedure, and cost should not be to high. If on the other hand it is not so simple as purity, it may be an indication that the shadow mask may be slipping inside the tube and is not a simple fix.

Reply to
James Thompson

If you can get it to slip a lot more it can be fun. Once had a set with a messed up shadowmask, and everything came out psychedelic on screen. Gave it to some poor unsuspecting tvless person :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news:1156031716.843706.235670 @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

LOL! Too funny. Especially if it is a late model set that appears to be worth something.

I had a customer bring in a fantastic late model Sony flatscreen TV with a very large picture tube. Gorgeous set, cost more than $1,500 to buy it new and this was a pretty new set. They guy "got a steal on the set", only several hundred dollars instead of the $1,500 or so that it cost. Only one, small, teensy weensy problem, the screen was all psycodelic. Uh huh. Bad CRT, shadow mask. It would cost more than a new set to fix. The guy cried. So sad. So much for the steal of a deal!

--
~Ohmster
Reply to

Sets like that are quite watchable, once you get over the shock. Admittedly green faces with pink & blue hair do look weird. The woman I gave mine to knew what she was getting, it was a freebie, and to my surprise she actually fixed it after a bit. Gave it a good hard whack and it was sorted. A good slam is worth a last ditch try on these, the mask might spring back into place.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yep. I fixed an expensive Unix computer system by whacking the cables with the heel of my shoe - which surprised the customer some.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Ahahahahahaha! Good one. What the hell, she did not have much to lose anyway so whack away and look what happened. I be if she moves the set it will be toast again but hey, it works for her.

--
~Ohmster
Reply to