Need single piece of sheet steel for a project, source?

I need a single piece of sheet steel, approximately 17" x 7" x 1/8" (or slightly thicker) for a project. I haven't checked yet, but I'm guessing Home Depot etc. don't carry such items (I know the carry thinner sheet metal, angle iron, metal rods, etc, but I've never seen snything like this there). Any ideas where I can such a thing?

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Try a local Metal Fabricating shop. Check ya Yellow Pages.

Reply to
kip

sheet metal shop. Even our small city has one. Perhaps a heating supply store too.

Reply to
Sarah

Thanks for the replies. A number of people have suggested such commercial places, I thought they wouldn't want to be bothered, but I'll give it a try!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

They will. At least here in Las Vegas every metal shop would sell any piece of metal they have to anybody.

And if everything else failed there is a last resort -- the greedy bastards from McMaster:

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushin

Sergey-Boy you got that right! Looked at McMaster out of curiosity, I can get a 12" x 12" piece of 1/8" steel from them for a mere $163! Now we know where all the military contractors buy their materials!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

No, there are even better places... :)) But that list is classified and require TSC to look into. And they'll kill you after you did. :))

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushin

Are there any large scrap yards in the area? A lot of them either resell scarp or have a stock of metal for sale. I have found at least one near every place I've lived, except a small army base in the middle of Alaska, and I had no need to look while i was there. The one near me sells scrap steel sheet, tube or pipe for 25 cents a pound.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida