Need non-USB software for APC Model BE350 toconnect to Windows XP

I have a APC Model BE350 battery back-up. It is 10 years old, and has a new battery. It has a serial channel - 9 pin connector for connection to a computer (Windows 95/98/NT/2000). It works fine as an independent battery-powered back-up. I want to connect it to my desktop computer which is running Windows XP. All the APC software assumes a USB cable will be used. Talking to their tech support, there is nothing available that is serial channel. I don't want to kluge up something to convert the serial cable to a USB, not even sure if it can be done. Has anyone done what I need??

Reply to
hrhofmann

Isn't this serial support built into XP?

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C

In XP: Control Panel -> Power Options -> UPS -> Select Model ->

APC -> COM1/2/3/4 For the Back-UPS BE350, I suggest using "Back-UPS" as the model.

Contrary to my previous proclamation, it will work with a USB to serial adapter cable.

Digging a bit deeper, the chart at:

shows that the BE250 is compatible with the Business Edition of PowerChute and not the Personal Edition.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Adrian,

Thanks. It looks like you may be right. I will try it later tonight when I have enough time to really go thru the entire thing. My regular computer guru did not have a clue to this.

Bob H

Reply to
hrhofmann

has

an

Got the info and also contacted APC by e-mail. Got a lot of info I now have to try it and see if things are ok.

Thanx for the suggestions.

Reply to
hrhofmann