NEC MultiSync LCD1555V

hey again, I've got an NEC MultiSync LCD1555V here, which a friend gave to me, and it's not working right. you turn it on, and the screen is lit up, but no picture - or so I thought. after disassembling it, and not finding anything visibly wrong with it, I put it back together and as I was putting the case back together I figured I'd plug it in and try it again right quick. I did so, and I was holding it at an angle. apparently there is picture. it's just so bright that it's not visible generally. you have to look at it in a way that the light isnt being shown through it at its maximum effect. when I try any of the buttons on the front(other than power, which functions properly) it brings up a dialog on the screen saying at the top "video input" and then it says "Out of range" as the message. so I can't change brightness or anything. any ideas? I can also make out my desktop, so I know it is -working- just not correctly. and the screen goes into standby if you unplug the video cable, so power seems to work right.

Reply to
kronflux

Try dropping your screen RES down in the computer.

Reply to
Jamie

just tried that. dropped it to 800x600, which is the lowest I could set it to, and it did the same thing. I could still see the desktop vaguely, and the menu did the same thing. "Out of range"

Reply to
kronflux

I also thought about lowering the refresh rate, but it only allows me

  1. which is odd. but yeah.
Reply to
kronflux

okay so I just hooked it up to an older PC. same result except I can now get into the menu. I've tried changing everything. that includes brightness and contrast. nothing worked.

Reply to
kronflux

The most likely possibility is a failure in the backlight system. Open it up and check for shorted transistors, blown fuses, etc in the power supply and inverter (often combined on one board).

has a section on troubleshooting and repairing these problems.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill47

??? He can see the desktop. Why would you think running at too high a resolution cause the backlights to fail?

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill47

I guess you didn't read enough.!

Reply to
Jamie

apparently, having too high or low of resolution or refresh rate, can cause the problem with the on screen menu repeating "Out Of Range" no matter what you press. after hooking it up to another computer, with an older video card, I was able to access the menu flawlessly. thats why people were talking about resolution. the other problem is the one I'm more concerned about. I think it may have to do with the LCD itself being faulty. I don't think the backlighting is too high or anything. I think what's happening is that the LCD isn't getting enough contrast to be visible or something.

Reply to
kronflux