Video/Audio Capture and Display Card

I'll admit now that I have never dealt with PC104, therefore I may be asking for something silly, I don't know.

I have an application in mind where I will need to capture a composite feed and audio, compress these to MP4 or similar and record to a hard drive. I will also need to be able to add an overlay/OSD to the incoming image, the overlay becoming part of the final video that is compressed and recorded.

I have found cards that do this, though as yet I have no idea of price, but sadly there is one more thing on my wish list, is there a card that does all this, and is also a video display card?

This would allow me to have the processor board and a video/audio board only, so I can plug the camera and mic into the video board, and the display into it to see what's going on & use the device. As you might have guessed space is at a premium!

Does this make sense?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Here's one issue that seems to indicated it doesn't: what good do you expect a PC-104 setup to do you if there's only *one* board in it besides the CPU? In other words, why use a backplane system to connect less than three modules?

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Maybe I'm being obtuse here, but how about, why have 3 boards when 2 would do?

If you used a PC104 as a web server, using a USB hardisk, then there would only be one board required in total, the network, USB and processor are all on the processor board.

It seems to me that part of the idea behind PC104 is being small? It seems likely that any device that is used to capture video is also likely at some point, even if only occasionally, to want to display the result on a screen. So having a card that can both capture and encode video as well as display to a monitor would be useful?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I'll answer that with a question: what's the point of splitting the job onto two boards in the first place? If you really want it small, why waste space on a connector between two separate boards, probably carrying signals that you don't even need?

A part, indeed. Which means that there's more to it.

The real idea behind PC-104 is to be smaller than a full-fledged PC, while retaining its flexibility. That flexibility comes at a price, and a large part of that price is excess size and weight compared to a narrow-purpose board.

So once you start wasting space by going for PC-104, why bother how much you waste?

And why insist on having the graphics output on the Video-In card, when you can just use a CPU board with integrated VGA?

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

As I say I am totally new to this technology, what I need is the flexibility of a PC but without the size, in fact I am talking wearable equipment, not tiny stuff sown in, but full functional commercal technology that can be secured in gauntlets or waist coats. Ideally a single board computer the size of a PC104 with video capture, encoding, hard drive support (USB or IDE) and VGA would be great, saldy I don't think such device exists, certainly not in the price bracket I'm interested in.

So, your last part about a CPU board with VGA on board, is music to my ears! I have a full time job as a programmer for a company, but I do some work for my fathers company, so I haven't had time to search all the options available, but I needed to get some ideas quick. So what I am now thinking thanks to you is a CPU board with VGA output on it and a video capture board for the composite and sound input and encoding.

I don't suppose you would be kind enough to provide a model number or similar for the CPU/intergrated video board?

Thank you so much, I hope I haven't come across as an ignoramous.

Tom

Reply to
Tom