Is it possible to eliminate (turn off) dead pixels in LCD monitors?

Hi, I guess the subject is quite explanatory. I have an LCD monitor which has a dead pixel in bright purple right in the middle which is very annoying. Is there any software that could turn off a pixel at a certain coordinate? I would even prefer having it black instead of that annoying purple. Thanks, Boris

Reply to
Boris

Hi, I guess the subject is quite explanatory. I have an LCD monitor which has a dead pixel in bright purple right in the middle which is very annoying. Is there any software that could turn off a pixel at a certain coordinate? I would even prefer having it black instead of that annoying purple. Thanks, Boris

Reply to
Boris

probably not since a dead pixel is one that is not working.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Reply to
Boris

If you could control this pixel it would not be dead

Reply to
Martin D. Bartsch

Simple !! Just cut a pixel sized piece of black tape and stick it on wherever needed.

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

Dead probably means it's not responding at all.

If the monitor is new, that's probably covered under warranty.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anyth> > probably not since a dead pixel is one that is not working.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

I LOVE IT!!! You must listen to Click and Clack on Car Talk. What would we do without the infamous "Black Tape?"

Reply to
Ken

Say what you like, without duct tape I'd quack up.

clifto

Or a dab of black paint.. or a dot of permanent ink.. or a.......

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Simply put, NO

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I worke breifly for a "reputable" automotive and automobile alarm firm back in the 70's. The owner of the firm owned a Cadillac that he wanted to sell. Unfortunately the idiot light for the engine over temperature would not go out. My project that day was to kill that light for him!

I worke breifly for a "reputable" automotive and automobile alarm firm back in the 70's. The owner of the firm owned a Cadillac that he wanted to sell. Unfortunately the idiot light for the engine over temperature would not go out. My project that day was to kill that light for him!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT (Thie e-mail is transmitted in DSB to placate the Kooks)
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

"Follow The Money"
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

.. or a charred remains of a pixel that was fried by one of Sam's lasers!

Always-on pixels are more annoying than always-off ones. I wonder, too, if there is some way to short-circuit such a pixel and turn it permanently off. Intuition suggests that this would be easier than restoring it to normal function. Unfortunately I have no other ideas right now.

A friend of mine told me about a process used by a very popular night-vision optics manufacturer to convert bright dead pixels, which are very undesirable in military applications, to dark dead pixels, which are more tolerable. This is a totally different kind of display technology, but it shows someone else is sharing this point of view.

There is a great deal of documentation on the web describing how tft panels are constructed and how they operate. Maybe you can get some ideas from there.

Reply to
stickyfox

I used to work for a Till company and the memory cmos had a non rechargeable battery to retain the memory , which used to flash a light when it was flat ,the quick bodge by most was the black tape fix over the hole ok until the first power cut then no more program

Reply to
Funfly3

What happens to the thousands or millions of such monitors / TVs returned to manufacturer's ?

N Cook

In article , Sam Goldwasser wrote: | "Boris" writes: | | > Actually I was hoping to turn it off (black etc). I know I may be | > dreaming but at least I'd like to know if it's technically possible. | | Dead probably means it's not responding at all.

Right, but it could be dead lit or dead black. He wants to convert dead lit to dead black. Sounds like a job for a Sharpie!

| If the monitor is new, that's probably covered under warranty.

Depends. From what I've seen, many screen manufacturers have started requiring a certain number of dead pixels before a monitor can be sent in -- like 5 dark dead pixels or 3 lit dead pixels, something like that.

As for what happens to any returns, my guess is that the ones with just a defect or two get resold under a different name and a different warranty, one that does not permit returns for just a few bad pixels. The ones with more defects either have the LCD screen replaced, get sold cheaply as having `slight blemishes' or just get scrapped.

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc@frenzy.com        A day without sunshine is like...night.
Reply to

Actually, black is on and lit is off. When the pixel is not energised it is transparent and appears lit as the backlight shines through it. When it is energised it becomes opaque and appears black.

In any case, it is not possible to turn a dead pixel on or off, that's why they are classed as dead- they no longer respond to the controller as for one reason or another.

It could be that the tiny transistor which controls the pixel has failed, or the connection between the LCD element and its electrical path has opened. These are unrepairable faults as they are inside the actual matrix.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Do you have a friend with a medical laser? I have no idea if that would work to burn the defective pixel permanently black, but it's all I can think of.

This could start a small industry - moonlighting lasers!

John :-#)#

--
  (Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)  John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9      Call

Sad to say, Sam, most LCD warrantees don't cover the case of a single dead pixel. They consider that the device (the LCD screen) has not failed unless a certain number of pixels are dead. The number varies, but on my LCD TV, the warranty doesn't kick in unless there are (I think) eight dead pixels.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Depends, in Australia unless the seller specifically informs you at the time of purchase of the manufacturers stance on this, (Pixel warranty), then it's your right, (ie. for once the consumer laws work for you), to return it to the place of purchase for replacement/refund.

An article from a PC mag can be seen here:

click on the DPP.jpg

If your consumer laws are as sane _and_ the monitor is under warranty _and_ you weren't informed of the Dead Pixel Policy then you have a case for refund/replacement/repair.

Dave

Reply to
4wd