Mitsubishi 27 inch vertical collapse

I have a several year old Mitsubishi 27407 27" TV. It has collapsed the picture to a this vertical line. I don't have the time to fix it (there's lots of more fun projects I'm neglecting alread). What I wonder is, is the current state of the TV repair business such that I'd be better off junking it, or would it be possible to get it repaired for a reasonable sum (compared to just spending the bux on a new set).

Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR

Reply to
gleason

Sorry, in the above previous message, I said thin vertical line - I meant, thin horizontal line.

Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR

Reply to
gleason

Chaeck for dry solder joints on Vertical out IC..

kip

Reply to
kip

If its not that check the V+ on the Vertical IC if its missing follow the path back to the diode and resistor and replace all. Would also be a good idea to replace the filter caps in the Vertical Circuit as well. The IC starts with LA7xxx or ANxxxx the location near the wires from the Yoke.

kip

Reply to
kip

Lee K Gleason: Obviously a failure in the vertical deflection.... could be a bad V output chip or something as simple as cracked or dry solder connection near and around that chip or the power resistors and other high heat producing parts that supply B+ to that circuitry. Either way... this repair usually is not very expensive and as long as the television had an acceptably bright and good picture before the failure then it certainly is worth fixing unless of course you have extra bucks that you are wanting to spend.... so go ahead and junk it and buy a new disposable television that most likely will NOT have the build quality of your Mitz. electricitym

- - - -

Reply to
electricitym

Thanks to all for the technical pointers. I feel you're being a trifle judgemental here... if you could see my place and the collection of vintage electronics still serving here decades after they were built, you wouldn't assume I enjoy disposing of gear that can be repaired and replaced with new low quality crap (I won't bore you with a list, but, suffice to say, there are numerous vacuum tubes glowing in TVs and radios, and computers built with 74xx logic still running here at my place. Heck, as we speak, I'm listening to a Grateful Dead bootleg reel to reel tape on my Pioneer RT-707) I was just concerned that due to the collapsing of the TV repair biz, it would be impossibly expensive. Just this year, the best TV repair place in northwest Houston went out of business (All-Antenna), and I've seen lots of other shops disappear. I'm encouraged by your suggestion that it will be possible to have it repaired economically, since I'd hate to chuck it when, except for its current problem, obviously has many years of life left in it.

Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR Control-G Consultants snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com

Reply to
Lee K. Gleason

of

I have not seen a model number yet, and if you want specific info it is best to put that in the subject line. Some Mitsubishi sets have extensive capacitor leakage and the vertical problem may be the tip of the iceberg. If it is one of those sets you could have as many as a few dozen bad caps.

Repair of the vertical circuit could be as simple as resoldering some bad joints. You could also need to change caps in the vertical circuit, repair corrosion damage, replace the output IC, and clean the board with solvent to remove electrolyte.

Look over the board carefully. Leaky caps will have at least one of these characteristics: a spot around them, a dark or corroded negative leg, black corrosion damage on the traces, will sizzle when the leg is soldered, will have a powdery look to the solder compared to the other joints, or will smell like bad fish when the legs are soldered.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet