Mitsu CS-3505 problem

I have a Misubishi CS-3505 TV that I bought "used" from a "repair shop" but after a return and no resolution to this problem, I hope I can find an answer here. Plus, it's to heavy to take back AGAIN. :D

There are 2 problems that may or may not be related.

1) The vertical hold jumps so that the picture looks "letterboxed". It will run this way indefinately, sometimes fixing itself. Usually, I can turn the TV off until I hear a click, like a relay or something and then turn it back on. This often works, but sometimes not.

2) The screen sometimes goes black but has a "rainbow" halo effect. The best I can describe it is if you've ever pressed on an LCD like on a calculator, you get an idea.

I only paid $175 for it so I don't want to put a ton of money into it to have it fixed professionally. Is there someplace else I can look for repair manuals? I have some skills, I'm a machinist/mechanic so I can follow along pretty well. :wink:

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
jpete

These TVs are known for multiple bad electrolytic capacitors in multiple circuits. Particularly many video problems can be traced to the same cause but on the PIP board. Sometimes the caps are leaking and the acid starts dissolving traces on the circuit board. If you have some kind of warrant have it fixed or get your money back because this can become a very long complex labor intensive repair. To get it fixed completely and correctly may take hundreds of dollars worth of labor and many days or weeks of repair time. Get out of this while you can.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Wrong era tv set. This one is from around 1989 or so. The CS3505 was pre-pip board problems and pre-mass capacitor problems.

However, given the age it is very possible that some capacitors are failing, especially in the vertical deflection circuit.

It is pretty clear that the so-called repair shop did not do a complete job in making sure the tv was going to work properly before selling it. If they could not provide a resolution to the problem, seems to me the entire money should be refunded or they should come out and fix it on site.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Wrong era tv set. This one is from around 1989 or so. The CS3505 was pre-pip board problems and pre-mass capacitor problems.

However, given the age it is very possible that some capacitors are failing, especially in the vertical deflection circuit.

It is pretty clear that the so-called repair shop did not do a complete job in making sure the tv was going to work properly before selling it. If they could not provide a resolution to the problem, seems to me the entire money should be refunded or they should come out and fix it on site.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Or just bypass the PiP board, it's what I do when the damage is too severe, not many people use that feature, half those I've repaired didn't know they had PiP in the first place.

Reply to
James Sweet