Mini Stereo Problem

No guarantees indeed. For all the labor involved just to get to the thing, it's best just to replace it. I've had spotty luck cleaning these things, even using a fiberglass brush and Caig De-Oxit. The control is pretty well sealed, so you can't just spray stuff in there, you have to take it apart. Given all that, the best option is certainly just to replace the part.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

My Aiwa CX-NA888 bookshelf audio system, bought new almost seven years ago, has the same problem. I would simply use the remote to adjust the volume and put up with what little aggravation this might cause. (It seems to me the control on yours is basically working, if it will change the volume smoothly as long as it is rotated slowly; mine is like that too.)

I've seen a round component through the air vents in my system which might well be the volume control. As Mark Z. said, though, if the control in yours is sealed tighter than a drum (it wouldn't surprise me if it was), your chances of getting any kind of cleaning solution in there are slim to none. If your system basically works otherwise, I'd just either use the remote for volume up/down or simply be careful how fast the knob on the unit is turned. These sealed controls are not meant to be cleaned, repaired or anything else other than replaced when they go bad. Too bad, but that's offshore engineering for you these days--replace, don't repair.

Jeff, WB8NHV (email address not shown to deter spammers) Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV