microphone-free!!

This one and other wifi radios listed as microphone-free!!

Apparenly the fear that your new radio will be listening to what you say has depressed sales, so now they are explicit:

Does anyone have a wifi radio? Esp. one with preset stations? What do you have? Do you like it? C-Span radio which used to come in crystal cear all the time, even though it's in DC and I'm in Baltmore, now rarely comes in well enough to listen to it. They must have moved their antennas. But I can get it on wifi, so I can use recommendations for a wifi radio with presets.

And you have all heard about Ring Doorbell vidoes by now, right?

Reply to
micky

Good idea. Actually, I have written them about 3 times in the last 3 weeks. And each time it auto-responds with the message that their mailbox is full! snipped-for-privacy@c-span.org What kind of a business has a full mailbox? We're not talking about voicemail, we're talking about email! I keep thinking next time it will work.

(I wanted to write, not call, so I could give all the details, including my exact location, and so I could butter them up. For a while an engineer at WAMU FM in DC was soliciting my opinion on reception in Baltimore. I guess I wrote him first but I don't remember why (bad reception?) Reception is good now in most of the city and even coutryside north of here (on the far side from DC).)

I'm going to call and see if there is a better address than the one they give on their webpage! And if that doesn't work, I'll write to C-Span and ask them to forward it to C-Span radio technical department.

I don't mind spending $200 for another radio, even though I should be getting rid of things instead of buying more things. It would make it easy to preset C-span and 9 other stations. But I've run out of space on the shelves next to my bed. (For the rest of the hosue I use the computer and an FM transmitter.) And I'd have to decide between two models with presets (3 if you count the one that requires using the remote to go to a present, but I don't count that one.) One is a pretty wood style one, but one has a face that tips back, which would work well on the lower shelf, but I think it's plastic. I hate decisions.

Reply to
micky

If it has a speaker, it has a microphone....

Reply to
Paul Babiak

Only if it is a microspeaker.

Reply to
John S

I know you can use a speaker as a microphone, but isn't that true only if t he circuit it's connected to will also "operate in reverse".

BTW, dsspite what it says in the ad, from the owners manual, this radio allows for spoken Google commands to play a particular song etc. I don't fully understand the manual and I think this may use a smartphone wh ich can be connected to the radio, to provide input. If so, it would still be micrphone-free.

Reply to
micky

Micky, I thought about something you said.

The world is filled with just salesmen and reporters. You can't stop a salesman from sneaking out at night and hopping over the fence to the dirty side and doing things.

Reporters talk to much. Salesmen don't write big-enough checks. Does that explain it, all?

Reply to
bruce bowser

I use this Ocean Digital portable. It has a rechargeable battery, and id WiFi so you can carry it with you.

Michael Terrell