Baofeng radios as scanners, are they ok? Legal?

Folks,

Two amateur photographers want to monitor bird watcher channels such as

464.45MHz in or near national parks. Something cheap is needed because it could get damaged in backpacks and such. I found Baofeng radios around $20-35 and sometimes the older UV-82 was recommended over the newer UV-5R:

UV-5R reviews aren't bad eitehr though:

Unfortunately these also have a transmitter built in which requires a licence. I have one but the photographer friends don't. Is it legal to use these in the US when never pressing the transmit button?

I am tempted to get one of those for myself for mountain bike rides into the boonies where cell phones don't work. Just in case I mess up badly and can't even walk or when a rattlesnake gets me. Could also be used for EMC hunts on the job but only if the firmware can be hacked to make it at least a wide band receiver.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I recommend the UV-B5 and GT-3 mark II. They are a different design and have much better receive performance for about the same price.

Don't know about the US. Here in the Netherlands it is (unfortunately) legal to own them when you do not use it to transmit.

Reply to
Rob

Might not help if you are in a ravine. Even if it does, it might be hard to tell people where you are.

Get a personal locator beacon. Works with overhead satellites.

With the way you drive, and the places you go, you need one.

Maybe get trip insurance to pay for the rescue:)

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Thanks. Seems to have a real squelch button:

There is also a UV-B6 now, not sure what the difference is. The downside with these is that they have a Li-Ion battery with a capacity not higher than the older NiMH but custom size, not standard cells like the 5R and others.

Out here most of the stuff is legal or "tolerated", I am just not sure about national parks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I am not planning on crashing that hard :-)

Usually I can hoof it out. So far the show-stoppers were violent tire blow-outs. The kind where plastic and metal pieces go flying along with chunks of tire.

A more serious concern is a rattle snake bite after which you aren't supposed to do anyting strenuous such as hiking out on your own. Wish I could ride with others but most decline because of the "excessive" number of miles.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What about an airless tire? Amazon, $16.45

You need a universal antivenom:

How about a snake shield?

Steve Wilson

Just spotted this in the lunchroom:

 Click to see the full signature

They are way too soft for serious MTB riding with a decent load on the rack.

Unfortunatekly not available yet. Quote "But, he noted, it's not quite time to make the giant leap toward human trials".

Well, yeah, I could also wear parachuting boots which I actually used to do in Europe. Out here in the Wild West, anything beyond sandals is uncomfortable in summer when it's 105F or more and the sun is pelting you.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

My mountain bike buddy just bought a 250 for dirt biking. He also has a

650 for multi-day rides but said that such a small 250 is much better suited for day rides. Where you don't need to schlepp a tent, food, water and all.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

When I lived in Louisiana, I had a Yamaha 250, which weighed 170 lbs and was a blast to ride. In La, you can tear up the countryside and nobody much minds. We used to play "tag" on motorcycles in an old

illegal but, again, nobody seemed to mind.

I wouldn't ride on the street any more; it's way too dangerous. I might get another dirt bike for plunking around in the sierras.

 Click to see the full signature

Why not just call the FCC. It's unlikely that the FCC caused a ban, but they might know if any other agency has done so. Or call the agencies that use the frequencies in your jurisdiction.

Normally, if you don't transmit, you haven't done anything wrong. BUT, What about when you stick it in the backpack and the button gets pressed? You wouldn't wanna be impeding fire and rescue...

Reply to
mike

And then be on hold for an hour, after which someone tells you that they don't know :-)

They wouldn't leave it turned on inside the backpack.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg... Short answer: Legal to own. Not legal to operate on channels that require you to have a license.

I'm real short on time, but when I get back, I'll fill in some details.

There are several channels that you can use that are "license-free" (See FCC Part-95 rules). Others need a license, but the license is very easy to obtain - a simple form you fill out.

Use of the Amateur Bands (FCC Part-97) is much more involved, and also requires licensing.

The above info is for USA.

Reply to
mpm

You have to program the transmit frequencies separately on the UV-5R handheld. You can buy a SDR kit that goes down to below the AM BCB for around $20, rather than hack a handheld to cover a few segments of the

2GHz+ range of the SDR. The software is free.

Kit: $20 DIY-KITS-100KHz-1-7GHz-UV-HF-RTL-SDR-USB-Tuner-Receiver-w-U-V-antenna-R820T-8232/

Assembled: $24

100KHz-1-7GHz-Full-Band-U-V-HF-RTL-SDR-USB-Tuner-Receiver-R820T-P7K5/
Michael A Terrell

There is no need to have a license to posses a transmitter, but I wouldn't think a VHF radio would do you much good in mountains. They are line of site for the most part. Someone would need to be fairly close to hear you.

Better would be one of the emergency beacons. That will get you help, not just contact with a bird watcher. Or maybe both, the radio if you've just sprained your ankle and simply need help getting out, or the EPIRB or similar if you need emergency care.

There are more than one emergency beacon type, I don't recall the details. One of them can have longer delays. Do some research.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

What does that thing do? A zillion people sell it but I can't find specs.

 Click to see the full signature

Operate as in transmitting or also listening? In this case it's just about animal watching, to find out where wolves and other animals are so they can take photos (without disturbing them).

Yep, I did that a long time ago.

Thanks. That's where it would be used.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The specs are dependent on the software you use.

is a website for SDR radio applications.

has more basic information about SDR, and some links. There is a Facebook group for SDR as well as a lot of Youtube videos.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

[...]

For park use that would be fine, only a few miles of range suffices. Usually less because the wild life watchers are in the same area.

The emergency beacons work via satellite. AFAIK response is fast because they know that when someone activates the unit it is usually serious.

I liked this comment, quote "My life is worth $300.00 even though my wife doesn't think so" :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's a lot of theory and insider detail. What can you do with that box? Connect an antenna and plug it into a PC USB port and actually hear something?

Can it be a spectrum analyzer?

 Click to see the full signature