Make your own headphone foam replacement?

I got a pair of Pro-Luxe NC2 Noise Cancelling Headphones from Maplin a couple of years ago. They're great! Except...somehow, somewhere, I lost a bit of foam. They look like this

The foam is oval, 7x5.5cm or so. Can't find it anywhere. I've tried Maplins, the importers, even the makers (who don't send out spares). I've even looked on ebay to see if anyone was selling a broken pair. It seems a shame to junk a decent pair of headphones just because of this. Any idea

Reply to
digitaltoast

this

I agree. I have some tandberg headsets with this design of pad. the material just disintegrates. I may experiment by cutting down some sponge into circles and covering with cotton...

-B

this

It's funny you should bring this up. About a year ago, I tried to do that very thing. I don't have any fancy headphones, just plain ordinary ones, but the foam fell apart too quickly.

I cut some fabric (an old t-shirt) in order to make a little "sock" that slips over the earpiece. I used a couple of layers to provide enough padding between the plastic and my ears. Sadly, I guess I used too much fabric, or the fabric was too dense, because it had an adverse effect on the sound quality from the headphones. It really attenuated the low end... enough so that I couldn't enjoy the music.

I just bought another pair for $10. Darn, I wanted to be cheap. :)

Kinda makes you wonder how they make those foam covers in the first place.

Thanks.

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.

----------------------------------------------------- Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA snipped-for-privacy@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick

Reply to
Matthew Fries

I dont think much of their after sales support.

Regards

Reply to
Terry

I took a set of Realistic headphones out of long term storage, to find the foam earcups had turned to two piles of dust. I cut new ones from the black 1/2" dense foam computer stuff comes packed in, using a quicky hot foam cutter I made up from an old variac and some nichrome wire. Best way I found was to make 2 cardboard discs to act as guides; made 2 pretty good repros this way. JR

digitaltoast wrote:

JR North