Magnavox 25TR12 C102 Chassis 25P606-00AA wont power off

I am working on a Magnavox 25TR12 C102 (Chassis 25P606-00AA). Originally had a problem where the set wont power on, had low standby voltage. Replaced C432 (known problem) and fixed cold solder on 2 res next to the cap. Now, the set automatically powers on when plugged in. It didnt do it right after the replacement, so they may not be related. Nevertheless, I cant get it to power off. Tried checked low voltage points but seems to be fine when its on, guess the voltage must be backfeeding. Anyone have this issue before? Thanks in advance.

Tim

Reply to
GoodFeeling

Check the relay ...!!!!

kip

Reply to
kip

Relay? How do I get there?

Reply to
GoodFeeling

I thought you were referring to the news relay, not the electronic component. I didnt imagine someone actually recommending such a fix. As far as the problem, the relay is working fine, I have had a low voltage problem and would like to know if there is a way to force the TV off so I can check my voltage points.

Reply to
GoodFeeling

GoodFeeling: AGAIN..... check the relay (electronic component in television). Make certain that it is de-energizing and that the contacts actually open up.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

far

problem

check

Originally

the

Reply to
sofie

Well, if the set uses the 100uf 200v cap for C432, it doesn't use a relay. The STR30130 regulator IC is switched on/off electrically. You should always have about 150vdc on pin 3 and the output on pin 4 sits about 15vdc when set is off and 130vdc when on. It's possible this IC is bad, and also possible if C432 was open to have burnt resistors near the IC.

Reply to
RonKZ650

Well for your info Relays do stay stuck on..Very common. Next time let us know what you have done in the way of diagnosing so we wont reply with a stupid suggestion.

Reply to
kip

If this is the chassis that has Q410 next to the regulator ic, check to see if it is shorted. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

RonKZ650,

Thanks for the response, here is what I have come up with. I checked the voltage at the regulator IC, and on pin 4, I have a little over 130vdc, when the set is off (the set doesnt turn off, the display just goes a little dark and the sound goes off), then the voltage turns down to around 120vdc on pin 4. Does this sound like a bad reg IC or could it be another component around it. I really need to understand what is actuallly dropping the voltage, is it the Reg IC or should the input drop? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
GoodFeeling

Chuck,

There is a Q410, but not right next to the reg IC, I will check if it is shorted though, thanks!

Reply to
GoodFeeling

Checked Q410, it tests fine.

Reply to
GoodFeeling

Update: Found that R432, a 1000 ohm resistor was open, so I replaced it. Turn on the set and it smoked almost instantly. This res goes right to pin 2 of the IC. Does I am guessing that means the IC is bad. Does that sound correct?

Reply to
GoodFeeling

I agree, the contacts could be stuck closed (welded, open coil, etc.)

Reply to
nvic

Q400 is the one that sits right next to the IC, make sure it's not bad, which is possible. If it's good then I think your regulator STR30130 is bad. A burnt 1k resistor to pin 2 should turn off the IC, so if it's still putting voltage out on pin 4 it's bad it looks like from my perspective. The way it works is the input voltage (pin 3) stays a constant aprox 150-160vdc regardless of whether the set is on or off. Pin 2 is your on/off control, it sits around 15v when set is off along with the output on pin 4. When pin 2 is turned high when the set is turned on, pin 4 follows and outputs your 130v supply.

Reply to
RonKZ650

Reply to
Bill S

Hi Bill,

In the schematic, it says I should have 134vdc on the base of Q420, I have

160vdc. Is that to much? or is that normal? Thanks.

Reply to
GoodFeeling

Replaced STR30130, still toasts R431...

Reply to
GoodFeeling

New information: If I replace R432 and turn on the TV, it wont smoke... as soon as I try to turn it off, the screen dims and R432 starts to get hot and will smoke.

Reply to
GoodFeeling

--
masterteks