Linksys BEFSX41 Router

The router doesn't see the WAN connection. Is there any hope that it is fixable?

I have reset it to initial status, and the

4xswitch side works.

TIA

Reply to
root

Sub the router with a known working unit?

Only chance of repair is if you can positively ID the failed part and find a replacement.

Meat Plow

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

Unfortunately that is quite a common problem. Often spikes on the incoming line kill the circuit. You may find if your lucky that the voltage arrester just behind the WAN socket is SC. Otherwise its just usable as switch.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

What's your source for the common problem? The WAN connection usually ends up on the Ethernet connection of a DSL or Cable modem which itself should be protected. This can be verified by attaching the PC directly to the WAN connection and trying to ping the modem's default IP address for HTTP port configuration or trying to go to the modem config page at that address.

Meat Plow

It happens. To me it was a nearby lightning strike that took out a bunch of stuff. Didn't phase the DSL modem, but blew the Cisco firewall and a switch behind it. Switches further down the stream were untouched as well.

Reply to
PeterD

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

My bad ! :-( I forget that here in the UK the router normally connects directly to the phone line and over there the modem is often a separate device. Sorry !

Although the protection circuitry behind the socket is still worth checking.

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

had a befsr41 go bad after a power surge. the caps inside heat like crazy in normal operation and go bad too, but in my case it was also the wan chip (realtek?). i found one online and replaced it. at the time it made sense in terms of cost, nowadays probably not...

Reply to
Steve Sousa

The telco here offers a combo switch/router/dsl modem. I have one around here made by 2wire.

If the OP is adventurous yes. However it may not be worth the money to replace parts and if the protection has crowbarred the WAN port running the router without protection could result in future damage to the transceiver.

Meat Plow

I had a similar experience with the same router and found a bad electrolytic (bulging) to be at fault.

Reply to
rush14

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

True ! Though spark gaps and TVS diodes are commonly used for protection.

Oddly I got one to fix just after my last post. TVS diode dead short. Lift the diode and it works again. New diode needed. Problem ! House coded. A PKE170 is the same physical size and should do.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I've never had to or been called to repair these things. Last damaged Ethernet device I encountered was a 24 port Cisco Catalyst series managed

10/100 switch that had suffered a proximity lightning strike knocking out several ports. It was replaced, no way I would tackle a repair.
Meat Plow

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

Generally speaking they aren't worth the time to take the box apart let alone fault finding on them. But as part of a larger job it can become worth the effort to do so ! It also marks you out as someone who can be trusted to do a job properly rather than box shift or bodge. In any case its all part of a continuous learning process.

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.