LCD repair

If this is not the group to post this please forgive. Is there any way to repair nonfunctional rows and columns in LCD displays such as in inexpensive games etc.?

John.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John

If this is not the group to post this please forgive. Is there any way to repair nonfunctional rows and columns in LCD displays such as in inexpensive games etc.?

John.

Reply to
e_john_wilson

i'm sure others with more experience than me will contribute, but AFAIK the 'fix' for this sort of fault is panel replacement. working on individual 'rows and columns' is not something i've ever heard of....

-B

Yup. The rows and columns are driven by chips that are bonded to a flexible PCB that connects to the LCD itself. The chips cannot be replaced.

Reply to
JW

This problem can be caused by dirty or oxidized contacts.

LCDs are often "attached" to the PC board with a conductive rubber strip (not solder). Lifting the LCD and cleaning the board often fixes the problem.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If they are connected to the electronics using a zebra strip yes. If the connection is hard then usually not.

Reply to
Meat Plow

In message , JW writes

The chips can be and are replaced as a module including the flexible PCB, there are companies out there who will do this. As to the economics of replacing them on a TV or monitor...

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

The panels I've looked at lately all have chips bonded to the LCD substrate. The are not packaged but are raw die located along the vertical and horizontal edges. Only the original manufacturer of the panel might be able to replace them, but I'm not even sure they could.

Reply to
JW

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John

Thanks guys, ASFAIK the electronics are working correctly, the problem developed after an impact and is in the zebra strip conductors/rubber strip contacts (I did not know the terminology). Would isopropyl alcohol be a suitable cleaning agent?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John