Laptop power socket/plug problem

Been in there and resoldered , still intermittant. Don't think its a break inside the power lead. Seems to be in an annular sense, if the line "plug" lays in one "o'clock" angle then contact breaks. Tried cleaning plug and socket of coarse,and contact treatment oil and nothing obviously wrong with line plug plating/surface, but before trying to replace plug and socket , what to try?

Reply to
N_Cook

Is this the triple-coaxial plugs they use on Dells? The outer barrel is gnd, the inner side of the barrel is +19.5 V, the center pin is some resistor or something that classifies the power supply's capacity.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of contacts are in the laptop's socket, the supply's plug doesn't have any springy parts in it. I'd guess the laptop's socket contacts have gotten worn or lost their spring temper.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Although the pin of the chassis socket is shrouded so could be 3 wire, I think the line plug is 2 contact. Taking a closer look at the line plug its probably a plating problem on the patch where the cable would normally have lane "o'clock" sense. I'll try and confirm the plug is 2 contact only and try finding a replacement and fudge-jumper that in initially.

Reply to
N_Cook

More than just a resistor, I think it's a 1-wire bus.

Reply to
Andy Burns

This is a Samsung n102 notebook. 2 contacts to the single ring contact in the chassis socket. So the small one presumably an insertion switch ,for whatever reason, and the other for current. In the process of bending the arm wiht a needle, the contact end , at the open end of the socket, sprung out from behind the lip. Luckily while bending out while pressing down on the tip to try and get it back in , it reinserted behind the lip. So next time , while bending the arm radially inwards, hold the tip in wiht a jeweller screwdriver blade. Leaves what is the function of this switch, just enables/disables the 2 colour charging LED and display light level setting ? locks out the inboard charging after an unknown time after loss of switch contact for some unknown reason? I never thought to check the pc battery charge gizmo, just noticed the LED going on and off and display backlight dipping/brightening.

Reply to
N_Cook

But whatever it is, it's not too complex. My non-Dell laptop supply has a special adapter for Dell laptops. It's a bit larger that the other plugs and it does fool the laptop into charging.

Reply to
Jerry Peters