laptop boot very occasionally

I have the same problem. But in my case the hard drive get invisible, and the system cann't boot from the visible DvD. I get the ugly message insert boot disk if you wonna use me ;). Bios setup stay accessible. I suspect something wrong with IDE hardware Any suggestions ? Thankx.

Hi all, > > I have an inspiron 3800 which will boot very occasionally but most of > the time when I turn it on it does nothing. > > by nothing, I mean the fan starts and the screen appears to be in 80x25 > text mode with just a cursor blinking in the top left corner. there is > no bios screen and no beeps. control-alt-del does nothing, nor does the > setup button or f2 etc. > > on the rare occasions it does boot (no idea why) it is stable. > > any clues please? it's going in the skip if I can't figure it out... > > Andy >
Reply to
nobody