HP54825A Infinium scope

Anyone else have one of these? I need to find the BIOS settings that will recognize the hard drive.

Is there a news group or forum to look for as well?

Thankies

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Found this with a quick search, don't know if it addresses your issue, but it seems promising:

Good Luck!

Reply to
Bill Martin

It's an interesting article, but it does NOT address how to set the BIOS up to see the hard drive.

But thanks for looking.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Buried in the service manual is the BIOS set up. IT recognized that there is indeed an IDE drive present. Then complained it couldn't boot from it. For a week or so, I thought there was still something wrong with the bios.

Surprise, coincidentally with my wiping the BIOS, the hard drive decided to quit working. Replacing it with a spare that I already had as an image the scope booted right up.'

Holmes was right. "What ever is left, however improbable, is the answer."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

The motherboard in the 54825 died, so I bought a 54845A as a replacement. I'd forgotten what a cluster f*ck it was dealing with Windows

  1. After a bit of the usual flailing around, I upgraded to Windows 98 Second Edition and upgraded the USB drivers, nice, I can mount an external USB hard drive now. I also installed the drivers for an HP LaserJet 1200 printer so I can click the print button on the screen. Next trick is to use this: to mount the 8 Gig SSD in a Dell PC chassis so I can load Windows XP on it, then do the HP Infiniium XP upgrade. Yes, I'm having too much fun with this.

Here's a fun YouTube video of a guy working on a 54835A on the workbench. His has Windows 95 as the operating system.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

I'd also forgotten, intentionally. No thanks for reminding me of past nightmares and for raising the dead.

When your HP Laserjunk 1200 decides to feed multiple pages ending in a paper jam, there are kits that claim to solve the problem.

I've had a bit too much entertainment dealing with Windoze XP and SSD drives. XP does not have a built in TRIM function. Without TRIM, the SSD does too much writing and can limit the life of the drive. I didn't have much luck with various workarounds. I assume that HP did something in the Infiniium scope series to stretch the life of the SSD, which might not be present if you replace the OS: Opinions seem to vary as to using XP on the scope:

Nice scope. Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com