lcd monitor troubleshooting tips?

I've got a Dell LCD monitor that when plugged in and powered on will show a beautiful picture for about 1 second and then goes immediately dark. You can turn it off and back on and it will do the exact same thing an infinite number of times. Same behavior with any computer and with multiple video cables. It also behaves the same way without a video signal attached. It will come on and show the self test screen for a second, then goes dark. I hate to have to recycle the thing when it clearly works, just something is preventing it from staying on. I'm pretty handy with a multimeter and a soldering iron, but I'm not sure where to start on this thing. Anybody fixed similar issues with an LCD and have any suggestions on which component I might want to investigate?

Thanks,

Brandon

Reply to
Brandon D. Valentine

Most of the time, it is the back plane lamps, and the power supply for them. These should be changed together. I doubt that DELL will sell you the parts. They will tell you to send them the monitor for service, if it is not too old to have the parts.

To prove that it is the backplain lamps, shine a flashlight on the screen, and try to see if there is an image.

--

JANA _____

Thanks,

Brandon

Reply to
JANA

Check that the actual screen is still producing an image after it has gone 'dark' by shining a strong light at the screen at a very acute angle. If it is, chances are that the backlight has failed. This usually comprises a couple of cold cathode flourescent tubes, and an inverter board to drive them.

Inverters may or may not be readily repairable. If the inverter starts then immediately stops, it may well be a cap problem, but it could also be a bad tube that is 'overloading' it, and causing it to shut down to protect itself.

Replacement inverters and backlight tubes available here. They can probably supply something suitable.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily