Kenmore Microwave Oven - 2 failures in 2 years

Heh...septic systems suck. I've lived in two homes with them in my youth and 5 kids in the house. #1 back in the mid 60's used to fill up and leak through the ground. Made the grass around it nice and green though :) #2 was in a home newly built for us in 1968. A brick ranch out in then rural surroundings, no water/sewer. Never had a lick of problems with that thing. It was a huge tank and cleverly made leech bed from house block in sand and rock. I guess in that location the tank could be made from house block and act partly as a leech bed of its own. 20 years later they ran water and sewer and caved in the tank and leech bed so I know what it looked like.

Well now adays using a prebuilt from a company like Icom, a cavity duplexer and adding a Mirage repeater amp and a couple Diamond Super Stationmasters, some 9913 or hard line is the way to go. Back in the early 90s it was piece together a controller, mobile or bass rig, an AT computer to handle the phone patch etc.... I know of one such beast still in existence that I had a part in its equipping and that I had modified a couple Motorola 160mhz "Pageboy" pagers for use on the repeater. It's used every day all day long and part of the SKYWARN 2 meter network. I can hit it with a 5 watt HT 50+ miles away albeit strategically located.

Reply to
Meat Plow

'90s? you should have tried building one in the late '60s. Motorola Twin-V transmitter strip, a GE Pre-prog reciever strip, home brew power supplies, Unijunction transistor timers and a surplus W.E. Touch tone decoder and a homebrew phone patch. The diplexer was home brew out of scrap copper pipe. All of this mounted in a surplus 3' shallow relay rack.

There were no computers. It was on 146.01/146/61 and installed in the pressbox at Lemon Monroe high School in Monroe Ohio. You could hit it from the Dayton hamfest with a 1 W handheld.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

Yeah but I don't know where Monroe is.I have a close friend who still runs a modified Motorola Land transceiver on 2 and a GE (I think it's a GE) on .70cm. Plus we used to mess with a couple all tube 1200mhz transmitters yanked from an old Bell microwave relay station tear down. Had a ham friend who would get on the local repeater and announce where and when he was closing down a relay station and we could rip out most anything we could haul away. I still have boxes and boxes of all sorts of weird Western Electric parts, vacuum relays, tubes, waveguid for 1.2ghz and 1.6ghz, detector diodes, copper grounding strips and just about anything else you could think of made back in the 50s and 60s.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Feh. My first repeater:

was like that. 6m Pre-Prog receiver near the bottom. Unichannel receiver hanging in back. Two 80D xmitters, with mobile power supplied modified for AC operation, near the top. DC wire line remote in the middle along with home made control and audio panels. Note how cleverly I put all the heavy stuff on top so that it would topple when moved. Driving around town with a 2500 and later a Princess (Schmoo) phone on the floorboards was the ultimate in cool in the late 1960's.

Also, initially no touch tone. It was controlled by a rotary stepper switch and a single tone decoder. Also, no PL. A later machine used a Strowger switch when 10 functions were deemed insufficient. However, it was way too big and and made far too much noise, so a WE 247B materialized and I switched to Touch Tone. The first PC I used in a repeater was for IRLP, not the controller. I keep wanting to build and write code for my own PC based controller, but can't find the time, excuse, or market to justify the effort.

One of the repeaters I listed (W6JWS-2m) is an Icom RP-1510 commercial repeater owned by the local ARES group. I inherited the unpaid lifetime maintenance contract on it when the previous tech died. I had to remove a tangle of modifications, fix a few things, retune, and deal with a nasty case of intermod at a new location. The quality of the radio and controller are marginal, but it will probably remain in service forever.

How we got from microwave ovens to this will remain a mystery.

Back to shoveling mud and muck. Yech.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Interesting discussions :-)

If we may return to the original topic for a moment, I reassembled everything and now there is a loud hum. so I guess another component was busted when the diode went.

Any suggestions? I know there is some info above and I'll look for it later today.

Thanks to all for your patience.

Reply to
JD

Interesting discussions :-)

If we may return to the original topic for a moment, I reassembled everything and now there is a loud hum. so I guess another component was busted when the diode went.

Any suggestions? I know there is some info above and I'll look for it later today.

Thanks to all for your patience.

Reply to
JD

Yep. Topic drift is so much fun.

My guess(tm) is that either the magnetron or the HV cazapitor are shot. I'm surprised the fuse or circuit breaking didn't blow. The hummmmm you're hearing is the transformer trying to pass way too much

60 Hz current. Additional help:

Please be careful when poking around the HV cazapitor. There's no warranty on your life.

The 0CZZW1H004C cap is $26 from Sears. The 6324W1A001L magnetron is about $70. (Plus tax and shipping). You'll find these somewhat cheaper from discounters and ebay:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Did you read my post advising you how to go about the repair?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks for them.

I believe it's not worth the bother. The oven cost about $118 and the magnetron alone costs $69 + shipping.

Do these ovens have any scrap value?

Consumer Reports (Feb 2009) rated 3 Kenmore midsized countertop models as the best. I'm beginning to lose confidence in them (C.R.).

Thanks for your support.

Reply to
JD

There is an excellent article in the following link on repairing microwave ovens:

Good luck guys!

Reply to
JD