(k) in CAP uF Designation?

I've been posting about changing out the caps in my Toshiba TV. I have gotten a lot of help, and being a rookie I sure appreciate it ... thanks. I'm at the point to where I'm shopping for the caps and trying to get them all from the same place and only have to pay postage once. I have a question about the (K) being added to a few of them. I think someone else posted about that a month ago or so and I can't find it. Most just have the number of uF and the voltage but a couple of them are different. One says, 1 uF- 50 V but has a (K) above the uF, and another is labeled, 10 uF K and is 16 V. What's up with that? It can't be multiplied by 1,000 can it? They are both pretty small in size. Gotta get this all figured out before I can order what I need. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
Forrest

Just ignore the K, it's probably a manufacturing date code or something.

Reply to
James Sweet

tolerance = 10%

Smitty Two

Great! ... Gotcha. Seeing a "K" made me think of a thousand, but I doubted it, since the cap was so small. Now, I guess, my next question is ... if I can't find one with that tolerance at the place I'm ordering from, can I go with a 20%, if that's the best that they have?

Reply to
Forrest

It should be fine. When I fixed a few of these sets, I used whatever capacitors I had on hand, they worked perfectly.

Reply to
James Sweet

Electro's are pretty good for tolerance these days, but in the past, the typical tolerance was asymmetric with a huge spread - like -20 / +80%. As James says, pretty much anything that comes to hand from that point of view. More important is to check the temperature rating. Most are 85 deg in 'general' applications, but some may be 105 deg types. An experienced tech will sometimes sub 105's for 85's in some positions, to improve long-term reliability.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

10% tolerance.

may be useful

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Okily, dokily neighbors, I got my caps ordered today from Parts Express. Gonna take a week to get here. I got as many of the caps as I could with the higher temp rating. With some, I had to get a little higher voltage. Thanks again. Over n' out.

Reply to
Forrest

Out.

Reply to