small variable capacitors (measured in uF)? measuring capacitance?

I would like to hook up a variable capacitor to some audio circuits I built for learning about synths and amps (schematics are here:

)
)

because in some of these the capacitors change the pitch, tone or other qualities.

These circuits run off a 9V battery and use capacitors with ratings such as

220 uF 100uF, 0.1 uF, 0.01 uF 0.047 uF so I would want variable caps in this range. Do these exist? Online all I am seeing is ones rated in pF.

Also, assuming I find these, and get them working in the circuit, and find a desired setting for a capacitor, how do you measure the capacitance? I have a multimeter but have really only used it to measure ohms.

Thanks...

Reply to
Mad Scientist Jr

Mad Scientist Jr wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

They'd be HUGE. Easily as big as a fridge or a car, even a truck in the case of 220 µF.

What matters is the timing, as it's timing that matters in amps and synthesizers, except for power supplies or sample and hold circuits where capacity is more important.

To get long timing with small capacitors, use large value resistors, and make sure you have low leakage capacitors.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Also, use a fixed capacitance and vary the resistance. That's what is usually done, and is why variable capacitors are rare.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan