Jelly beans on my screen

Hi,

I have a problem that I think has to do with the DDR 128 ATI Radeon

9800 Pro card in my 5 year old system (Dell Dimension 8200, XP Pro SP2, 1.25 GB RAM).

When playing DVDs or video files there are vertical lines spaced about

1/2" apart of what look like alternating 1/4" wide red and green jelly beans. If I reduce the viewing area to about 1" h x 2" w they accordingly shrink and then eventually disappear; not an optimal solution.

Any other program displays fine across the whole viewing screen of a

22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070 at 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz. I have reinstalled the drivers, tied different resolutions and refresh rates, taken the card out and cleaned the contacts and slot. Physically the card looks fine, the fan works, etc.

After putting the card back in for a short while the viewing of movies was fine but I suppose as the card warmed the same problem came back. My guess is that one of its chips dedicated to processing video has bit the dust and I need to get a replacement card. Other than video related programs the display is fine.

Thanks for your help everyone, Steve.

Reply to
steverossiter

The "chip" that processes video is the same chip that is used for everything, it is odd you have no other anomolies except in video unless it's an overlay problem. Try running a 3d game or a benchmark like 3DMark2003 or newer.

If it's heat, it might respond to opening case and pointing a fan at it. Try a different video card driver, and different video codecs. Try some other videos that use different codecs to see if certain ones have problems but not others. Also try another video playback software.

Did this problem suddenly start one day with no other changes to the system or ??

Reply to
kony