Somewhat OT: blurring on a monitor

I've got a Dell P1130 (Sony G520 in disguise) that is annoying me a little. I run it at 1600x1200, and am looking at a tet picture that consists of alternating (1 pixel wide) black and white vertical lines. At a 60 Hz refresh rate, the picture is very crisp (ignoring the nausea-inducing flicker). The individual black and white lines are quite distinguishable. At

85 Hz, it becomes a little more blurred - the lines are still distinguishable but the difference between them is less. Increasing the rate to 100 Hz, which is my target (I'm flicker-sensitive enough to be able to spot 85 Hz without using my peripheral vision) almost turns it into a uniform grey mush.

Obviously, there's a bandwidth issue here somewhere ...

The video card is a PowerColor 9800 SE, which is identical to pretty much every other 9800 vanilla or Pro (presumably all using the ATI reference design). Cable is ... I'm not sure. It came with the monitor.

The question is, is it possible/likely that the VGA cable is the bottleneck? At 100 Hz refresh rate, my calculations put the pixel clock at about 270 MHz. The video card has a 350 MHz RAMDAC (which unfortunately says nothing about the stuff after the RAMDAC) and the monitor is rated up to 370 MHz so although the pixel clock is getting up there, it's not really pushing the limit of either component.

On the other hand (and this is the only bit that's really relevant to this newsgroup :) ), how good is your average VGA cable as a lowpass filter? And more importantly, is there any difference between an average VGA cable and a really good VGA cable? While the extra layers of shielding obviously help against any interference, this isn't the problem in this case. Finally, where's a place in Oz where you can get a good VGA cable? There seems to be a lot of hyped-up stuff around which makes finding actually good stuff harder ...

--
Michael Brown
Michael Brown

yes. I've got one here (not being used) that makes a mess of my display

I'm running the pixel clock at 104Mhz

270 is kind of close to 350, I don't know how much improvement you'll get with a better cable.

you're kidding right, people here are often bragging about their display setup.

By VGA do you mean 640x480 @72Hz ? (28 MHz pixel rate) :) I get the feeling some of the makers do...

assuming you mean cables with VGA plugs there is a great deal of difference between good and cheap.

I picked up some at a recycling depot... IME the good ones are about 8mm diameter and my crap one is about 6mm diamater

Try Jaycar, cat# WC-7585

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

You might be better off with a new LCD screen; they are affordable these days and they do not flicker.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen