Is this computer problem fixable ?

I have a computer that was custom built at a computer show a few years ago and it worked very nicely until lately. My son mistakenly tried inserting the speaker plug into one of the USB ports on the back. Suddenly I lost functionality in both keyboard and mouse, so I am unable to communicate with the computer. The lights on the keyboard do not light up when I turn the computer on. I replaced keyboard and mouse without success. The computer still turns on normally and I hate to just throw it if this problem can be solved. I'm running Windows XP. Any computer geniuses out there ? Thank you for any help or tips you can give !

Reply to
moonlite

Without knowing the make and model of the motherboard it`s difficult to give specific advice, but my guess would be that there`s a micro fuse somewhere on the motherboard which has blown due to a short on the usb

5v rail. Probably fixable if you can locate it.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

"moonlite" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Apparently the power for USB fails due to a short circuit. If the USB has been treated very bad, the short may still exist. You'd better check out first. If that's ok and you're lucky, you can find a blown fuse on the mainboard. (This type of fuses do not look like ordinary glass types however.) Otherwise you'll have to trace the power trace on the mainboard until you find the place where it's broken or blow or fried.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Hi...

Failing that, another idea might be to simply add a pci usb card...

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:03:46 -0800, moonlite Has Frothed:

If the mouse and keyboard are USB, buy a USB add on card. If your PC is XP, the drivers for it will already be installed.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Reply to
moonlite

Hi!

There are three ways I could think of to fix this...

First, you could look to see if your motherboard has PS/2 (round) ports in addition to the USB ones. You could then try getting a keyboard and mouse with PS/2 connectors on them. Some USB keyboards and mice can work both ways. This is probably the easiest and cheapest fix unless you have your heart set on using your current keyboard and mouse.

Secondly, you could install an add-on USB card in a PCI slot. This isn't particularly difficult or expensive to do, but it does involve opening up your computer, identifying the slot and installing the card. If you're comfortable doing that and can follow directions, it should be a twenty minute job at the most. The only drawback to this is that installing drivers may be difficult if Windows doesn't detect and set up the card automatically...and if your computer ever fails to start properly, troubleshooting it may be difficult if the BIOS doesn't recognize the USB chipset on the card and enable your keyboard.

There is a final option. If you have good soldering equipment and know how to use it, you may find that a fuse protecting the USB ports on the motherboard has opened up. Replacing this fuse could restore your USB ports to working order.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Hi!

These are PS/2 ports. If something was really stuck in a USB port and it killed the keyboard and mouse too...that's not such a good sign. Since the system runs, it is very likely that some damage occurred on the motherboard when the USB port was shorted out.

If the short had caused damage to the +5 volt line coming out of the power supply your computer probably wouldn't even be able to start up, as many things depend upon that voltage in order to work.

Look for any breakage or damage to the USB port that might still be causing a short. You might get lucky--most USB ports that I've worked with are very well protected against shorting. I've seen some that shorted out and simply caused the computer to shut down until the short was removed. Others put up a message stating that the available current from the port had been exceeded. Remove the short and your computer could recover.

If you cannot find the short, or the port looks to be fine with nothing in it...then it may be time for either some repair, a new power supply (unlikely) or a new motherboard/computer.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

ers

ts

Reply to
moonlite

You could buy a USB ad in card and either a USB keyboard and mouse, or a USB to PS/2 adapter.

You're right that there's probably a blown fuse that supplies 5v to the USB and PS/2 ports. I don't recommend trying to replace the fuse unless you are comfortable with soldering surface mount components. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I had a similar problem recently and clearing (resetting) the bios fixed it.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias