Is this a hardware convergence problem?

Hi all,

I have a 3 year old Apex GB-4308 projection TV... I got it super cheap, but the warranty ran out after 2 years.

A few days ago it seems to have developed some problems (pic here:

As well as the smeared pic, it emits a pretty good buzz/humm.

I've read that this model has had a lot of problems reported, so I'm trying to determine if this is something that can be fixed via my tuning it, or if it's likely a hardware problem.

Can a pic that whacked out be tuned via the software convergence, or is it likely a piece of hardware that went bad?

Thanks!

Reply to
Alex

I don't know a whole lot about TVs, but to me that really looks like a hardware problem (esp. coupled with the humm).

You might look around for bad electrolytic capacitors. All electronics that are a few years old are subject to this problem. Bad capacitors will look like little cans that have tops that are bulging upwards.

(I saw "a few years old" not due to the age, but rather the time period when millions of badly formulated capacitors were sold.)

Reply to
Unregistered

Reply to
Papa_J