Is my Tek 464 CRT bad?

I bought a TEK 464. Made it work in non-store mode. In variable persistence mode, best I've been able to do is get it to store in a ragged oval area in the center of the screen. Have not been able to get any storage in fast mode. Voltages and timings on the CRT seem to be ok except that the manual claims there should be some pulses on the front mesh in VP mode. What I have is a small triangular wavetrain. The pulses are pulling up, but there's no obvious current path to pull down. I see what I'd expect from the circuit, but not what the manual says.

Is there some magic I don't know about, or is my CRT bad? Here's a picture of the screen:

Return address is VALID!
Reply to
mike