Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

AFCIs are the device intended to save the world. They trip on an arc of about 5A (the old ones needed an arc more like 60A). For new wiring they are generally required in a home when a GFCI is not required. The 2011 NEC may required AFCI protection when receptacles are replaced. They also trip on a ground fault of about 30mA - not for protection of people.

There are several systems for handling "ground" wires. The basic interest is that "ground" wires essentially be at earth potential, and that contact between a hot wire and ground trips a breaker.

In the US, the ground wire system is connected to earthing electrode(s) at the building. This is likely the case in other countries as well.

The US also requires the neutral and ground be bonded at the service disconnect. If there is a hot-to-ground short the path is ground wire to service panel, G-N bond to neutral, service neutral back to the utility transformer. This metal path produces a high current to trip the breaker. The earth essentially plays no part because the resistance of the earth path is far to high to trip a breaker.

The UK, from what I have read, has several ways to handle the "ground system". One is to earth the neutral at the utility transformer, not have a N-G bond at the building, and not run a ground wire with the hot and neutral service wires. Ground faults would return through the earth and not produce enough current to trip a breaker. I believe that these systems require an RCD (trips on H-N current imbalance like a GFCI) as the service breaker. The fault current through the earth does trip the RCD. (The trip level is far higher than the 4-6mA for a GFCI.)

Could be what you have in Israel.

--
bud--
Reply to

Read furter upstream where they are a=talking about whole hhouse GFI. That is the Eurropean name, used on 240 volt service. It doesn't trip at 7 mA.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Try to get someone to replace a refrigerator that trips a GFCI once every six months.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

nd

haven't

in

Well, I guess that I=B4m fortunate then. I live in a small appartment and I have 4 outlets in my kitchen which are feed by two separate circuits, with a dedicated circuit breaker for each one. Each circuit is also protected by a GFCI. Each GFCI controls two outlets, including the GFCI itself. In one of the circuits I have a refrigerator and a microwave oven plugged in, and the GFCI has never tripped. I=B4m sure the GFCI works because it trips when the test button is pressed turning off everything plugged to it including the refrigerator outlet which is wired to the output of the GFCI.

The refrigerator is an LG, less than six years old. I guess it is pretty well insulated, both electrically and thermally.

Of course, I agree that an old fridge probably has enough leakage to trip a GFCI given certain conditions, but I think that with newer refrigerators that shouldn=B4t be an issue.

Reply to
lsmartino

p://

I think that repairing a whole house surge protector is like trying to repair a circuit breaker. OK, technically it can be done, but there is no way to reliabily test them for performance after the repair. For instance, after opening a 20A circuit breaker to "fix it", there is no way to be sure that the breaker will trip at their designated ampacity. The same applies to a whole house surge protector... there is no way to test it for reliability after the repair. Also, there is the risk that the repaired protector catches fire when the time to clamp a surge comes if it wasn=B4t properly repaired. To me trying to save 100 or 200 US$ is no excuse for taking the risk of burning down a whole house.

Reply to
lsmartino

Refigerators or freezers are reqired to be on a circuit by themselves. A lot of older homes, or places that were enver inspected didn't do this. I generally had three dedicated circuits to a kitchen, and had the ceiling lights on a fourth, shared lighting only circuit. If a refrigerator or similar appliance with a three wire cord is bad enough to trip a GFCI, either it will stay at a low leakage, or quickly reach a point to trip the breaker.

A lot of the leakage current comes from capacitance between the motor windings, and the motor's core. New or old, this will always exist. There is a lot higher risk of food posioning that electrocution from a faulty refigerator or freezer.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not in the NEC.

Reply to
bud--

They aren't in my condo. And even a separate circuit doesn't keep the transients from propagating to lines on the same phase.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The NEC is the minimum code requirements. Every place I've lived required it.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell