Infrared receiver module pinout

I'm going nuts trying to figure out the pinout on a ired rcvr module....the Sharp GP1UM281YK.

The data sheet is contradictory.

This is a little stand up module that has 2 mounting flanges and then a 3 pin configuration.

Aren't these an industry standard pinout?....sharp, lite-on etc.?

Is this it......as you look at the front where the lens is the 3 pins would read left to right.....

output Vcc ground

right? wrong?

I now see an everlight part that looks close to the sharp and it's.....

output ground vcc (front view)

anyone have any experience with this part? thanks.

Reply to
Michael

No.

Check continuity between the case and each pin. The case is grounded. That gets you one pin. Then use a power supply and oscilloscope to work out what the other two pins are.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

they are not standard, but it is easy to find the pinout experimentally - just put a 1K resistor in series with the 5V supply to avoid damage if misconnected & use trial and error.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Actually, I shoudn't have made the post....just a heat of the moment bit of frustration. (I was pissed -- in other words).

The data sheet is a contradiction.

Actually, the case isn't grounded but yeah I did just look at the pins with a vom to figure it out.

Reply to
Michael

"Michael" wrote

bit of

with

Ground the case then. I have one like this (with the metal case) and unless you ground the case, you will probably have allot of 60Hz noise on the output.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

I have used a number of these, AFAIK, they are made by Sharp, it's a little stand-up module and there's a metal cage over the plastic body. But there is no provision for earthing the metal cage

The pinout (front view) is out-gnd-Vcc (5v). Out is usually connected to Vcc with a 4k7 resistor. At short range this generates a data-stream rail-rail.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 07:39:13 -0500, Michael top-posted:

Can you please post a link to this data sheet and point out the contradiction?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah...you should always ground the case.

So go to digi key....put in part # 425-1148-nd.

Go to tecnical info and pull up pdf data sheet.

Look at page 10.

Middle drawing and bottom drawing are bass ackwards.

The bottom shows the lens facing toward top of page but the pins are wrong.....(study closely).

As you look at the lens.....it should be....

output Vcc ground

This kind of stuff can drive you crazy.

Reply to
Michael

and as I look at it again it says SOLDER SIDE OF BOARD.

S H I T.

Reply to
Michael

How lame. Like they would know which side was the solder side (likely both w/extra layers in between these days). Now, "component side", there's a term that's not quite so ambiguous.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont