Ipod repair

I have been looking around on the net to find some info about repairing an IPOD. I have lots of friends with these so I was hoping to find enough info to learn how to do these repairs. I have my own unit which is not functional to learn on. Any thoughts or direction from the group, or am I just heading down a dead end road.

Thanks John

rtp

There really isn't that much to repairing an ipod. Most problems are pretty obvious (like a cracked screen, bad headphone jack, buttons not working, bad battery,...).

If the ipod won't boot and can't be erased, the hard drive is probably bad. Replacement hard drives can be found on ebay, but the cost is close to what a working used ipod goes for. You should know that firewire ipods will only work with certain Apple branded hard drives. There must be a firmware difference because they simply won't work with a non-Apple branded drive of the same model.

An adapter cable to let you connect the drive to a PC is handy for testing drives. A set of plastic tools for opening them is also useful. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe