Intermittant Problem on SV2000 TV

First of all, I'm not a repair tech although I can deal with simple low v. circuitry and can wield a soldering station.

The patient is a 20" Sv2000 of about 4 years vintage, used as a bedroom set. I don't have the model # handy, but am hoping what I'm describing is generic enough to get some suggestions.

Over the last few months, the remote control has gotten quite intermittant - it will fail (no buttons do anything) for anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Then everything's back to normal for a while It isn't the remote or the batteries, as multiple remotes simultaneously all work or all fail. Recently the problem has gotten worse, in that the "outages" are longer and starting to exceed the time where things work correctly.

Does this sort of failure ring an obvious bell with anyone? Is the logic that amplifies and decodes the received IR signal located on a single chip these days? It isn't even obvious to me where the signal is received - they've hidden the sensor quite well on the case; I haven't yet opened things up to investigate, but figured there's no harm in asking if this is a known failure mode on this brand of TV.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

Likely, the IR (infa red) receiver has bad cold solder joints, or material, from maybe cleaning the crt screen. Rono.

Reply to
Rono