In need a motor starting capacitor

I need a motor starting capacitor for a 3/4hp 60Hz 115 Volt Bench Grinder.

Sometime ago I posted here in hopes of finding specifically what cap would work. I got several responses, some provided general knowledge on capacitors, some went into discussions whether it was run cap or start cap, some sent me links to where to buy (although I didn't know WHAT to buy), some suggested going to the manuf (Chinese generic). While I appreciate those who responded, none gave me anything that I could use to purchase a specific capacitor.

I'm not expecting anyone to guarantee that a specific cap will work, but someone out here must have a bench grinder similar to mine that they've at one time or another done an autopsy on that could tell me at least what cap was in their particular machine.

Any help is appreicated. I'm tired of spinning my grinder before turning it on!

Reply to
nowan

Have you looked for the motor manufacturer's model information? Usually the motor maker will suggest a range of capacitors.

If not, It sounds like you need a start cap like 160 uf or so. Try Jameco Electronics

# 332718CH ($2.95)

Reply to
Ken Layton

"Ken Layton" wrote in news:1174234731.625807.95300 @n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the response. It's a Harbor Freight job - Central Machinery - meaning off brand Chinese and to my knowledge they don't have any available support. Plan is to order the one you suggest from Jameco.

Appreciate the answer!

Reply to
nowan

It's really not that critical, just google motor start capacitor and find a place that sells them. Call them and tell them what you have, they'll probably be able to tell you what will work. It sounds like people have already given you the best advice they can, any start cap for a 120V motor in that HP range should work fine.

Reply to
James Sweet

Call around to any of the places that rebuild electric motors. You may have to bring them the motor for them to test the inductance of its windings to match a capacitor, unless you know the value of the cap. Some of these motors use anything from about 2 to 20 uF depending on the requirement. These are oil filled high current type capacitors.

--

JANA _____

Sometime ago I posted here in hopes of finding specifically what cap would work. I got several responses, some provided general knowledge on capacitors, some went into discussions whether it was run cap or start cap, some sent me links to where to buy (although I didn't know WHAT to buy), some suggested going to the manuf (Chinese generic). While I appreciate those who responded, none gave me anything that I could use to purchase a specific capacitor.

I'm not expecting anyone to guarantee that a specific cap will work, but someone out here must have a bench grinder similar to mine that they've at one time or another done an autopsy on that could tell me at least what cap was in their particular machine.

Any help is appreicated. I'm tired of spinning my grinder before turning it on!

Reply to
JANA

Depends, if it's a PSC motor with a run cap then yes, if it's another type with a start cap then the capacitor is non-polar electrolytic and the value is not critical.

Reply to
James Sweet

Just fit a 15 UF cap with rating of 500 v. Stop having nightmares. If it goes it goes. It switches out after starting anyway.

Reply to
Jack