Copy a PAL

I have two pal chips. both are the same but one is bad. Can I purchase a blank one and copy the one good chip onto the new chip or are all Pal chips copy protected. Here are the numbers on it

BDB219743 Altera EPM7064LC84-15

Who might sell them and what would I use to copy it if it can be done.

Thanks Russ

Reply to
russ lavergne

bob

Bob Urz

"russ lavergne" bravely wrote to "All" (17 Jan 06 07:43:53) --- on the heady topic of "Copy a PAL"

I think that is the whole point of the P in pal. It is a GAL with a PROM in it. The PROM part means once the fuse gate is blown it can't be read back again. However, I suppose with a logic analyzer it could be reverse engineered depending on how complicated it is.

A*s*i*m*o*v

rl> From: "russ lavergne" rl> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:355502

rl> I have two pal chips. both are the same but one is bad. Can I rl> purchase a blank one and copy the one good chip onto the new chip or rl> are all Pal chips copy protected. Here are the numbers on it

rl> BDB219743 rl> Altera rl> EPM7064LC84-15

rl> Who might sell them and what would I use to copy it if it can be done.

rl> Thanks rl> Russ

... Letterman of Borg - "Ok, Top 10 reasons why resistance is futile:"

Reply to
Asimov

Some old PAL chips, xxVyy-type ones, anyway, will allow their fuse maps to be read out, but I think there may be a security fuse to disallow this. I just sold an ancient PAL burner that had a "duplicate" mode.

But I th> "russ lavergne" bravely wrote to "All" (17 Jan 06 07:43:53)

Reply to
stickyfox

Ah, yes. The MAX7000 series.

If the security bit has not been set in the original part (something that's done during initial programming), then it is possible to read the device and copy it as well.

HOWEVER -- That particular device (and series) are not PALs. They're far more complex. In fact, that's what leads to their acronymic name 'CPLD' (Complex Programmable Logic Device).

Reading and programming such devices requires high-end programming hardware that can handle 84-pin PLCC packages AND CPLD devices. This combination usually equals a minimum of a four-figure price tag, often five.

You have another potential problem, one of availability. I've checked DigiKey, Mouser, Newark, and Allied. None of them have this part listed in their catalog. Your best bet for obtaining one may be to contact Altera directly

and ask about a sample.

If you lack access to the necessary programming hardware, I offer programming services at what I believe are very competitive rates.

Programming/copying for a single such device would run you $22.00, and that includes free return shipping via USPS Priority Mail.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to