IBM Squaer network cable What is it called?

I have a few IBM network cables with square connectors on the end. I believe it is some form of token ring but I have no idea what the connector is called. Is there any demand for these cables? I got it from a closing grocery store.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

The cables are most likely type/cat 1. With a token ring type A connector. They are very obsolete. Here is a web page with the various types of type 1 cable ends.

Note that type/cat 1 is shielded twisted pair and in fact is much better then Cat 5 cable as it is shielded. If memory serves correctly, the max length is 1500 feet for token ring, on this type cable.

bob in phx

Reply to
Bob in Phx

IBM cabling system Type 1 ... 2 pair 18 AWG as I remember - circa 1980s. Plugged into a passive MAU

BTW, the founder and president of my current firm is the US TR patent holder for this (and worked for IBM Scandinavia in 1970s - where it was originally developed)

gb

Reply to
gb

Well partially right. After the 1984 Judge Green legal decision (breaking up AT&T - so AT&T could go into the computer business to compete against IBM) IBM developed a "Type cabling system" in an attempt to standardize the data cabling infrastructures -- for the vendor (mfg) specific & proprietary cabling solutions (e.g. Datapoint had ARCnet with RG-62/U 93 ohm cable; Ethernet has 10-Base-2 and 10-Base-5 used 50 ohm coax cables; Proteon ProNet

4 & 10 which used shielded twisted pair; AT&T had StarLAN; Novell had StarNet) I installed Type 1 cabling during 1980s and it was a bear to retrofit into existing buildings. Improper termination at the patch panel caused most of the problems -- cable installers hated the stuff.

AT&T desired to reuse existing Bell installed unshielded twisted pair cabling. I believe that Anixter was the first with AT&T to developed the "Category designations (Cat 1; Cat 2; Cat 3). I once had all of this PHY specification documentation from 1970s and 1980s - but finally pitched much of it in late 1990s.

gb

Reply to
gb