I am looking for an SF152E thermal fuse

I am looking for an SF152E thermal fuse. This is used in a tabletop distiller. The distiller plugs into an standard 115volt 15 amp outlet(USA). This is a 152 degree C fuse rated at 10 amps.

Here is a link to a pdf,

I am able to find the fuse on ebay but the guy is asking $8.95 plus $2.00 shipping, yeesh! I can get them from Chatham Components for $2.00 a piece but they have a 10 piece minimum policy, plus what ever shipping. It is a toss up of $10.95 for one or $20.00 plus for ten. I checked Mouser, Digikey and Jameco with no luck.

Hmm, Hosfelt has 15 amp thermal fuses but that may be too high an amperage.

This morning I replaced the dead fuse with another , I wish I wrote down the specs, but it was a 139 degree C. So far it is working ok but I would rather be prepared for when it goes again. I believe the fuse failed initially because the distiller gets plugged and unplugged, a spike drooping the fuse until failure or just plain old age got it.

Thanks for any help, Thor

Reply to
Thor

distiller.

152

er=SF152E

but

up of

Jameco with

amperage.

the

rather be

because the

failure or

Could you just remotely monitor the fuse temperature with a calibrated diode , fixed to it, and DVM on diode test. Then move the present fuse further away , until it is about 10 degrees less in temperature, in operation ? Assuming a 1N4001 can go to 130 degrees or so , untroubled

N_Cook

Not readily. The heating element is on the bottom of the distiller and so is the thermal fuse. You put a gallon of water in the tank and then it boils it all out, until the thermostat(preset) clicks the distiller off.

Here is what it looks like,

The stainless steel basin is inside and bolts down through the bottom plate, which fits VERY snuggly. I couldn't leave everything unbolted so I could get a probe up in there.

I am almost positive that the fuse went out not because of over temp or amperage but because of fatigue. I think these things are supposed to be throw away items lasting only about a year and I have had this around 6 years. I got the replacement fuse from my older distiller, it was about 6 years old too and rust got the better of it.

I forgot about BG Micro,

Much better than $ebay$. I just wish that BG Micro had .187(3/16") female quick disconects too, my older distiller is all 1/4".

Thanks for the reply, I may end up using it if push comes to shove later on.

Thor

Reply to
Thor

Buy 10 from Chatham. Keep two. Sell remaining 8 on eBay for $5.95 plus shipping.

Reply to
PeterD

If its the right temperature and physically fits then use it ! The 15 amp is the max current carrying capacity without it failing.

All that will happen is the fuse will fail at a lower temperature.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

On Sun, 24 May 2009 04:53:53 -0400, Thor put finger to keyboard and composed:

Add a 10A regular fuse in series ?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thermal fuses are not supposed to act as a normal fuse. The current spec is not a fuse current, but it tells what the thermal fuse can stand without failure. So just use the 15A part, the temperature spec is the important one.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry