Humming noise.

A few hours ago, I turned on my old antique electric table fan on the little end table by doggy's end of her couch.At about 7:00 PM this evening, I heard that hmming noise, I thought my Sony 27'' CRT Trinitron Wega flat screen tv set that I bought brand new in January 2007 had gone on the blink.About twenty minutes ago, I noticed the fan blades weren't turning around.Oviously, the fan motor hung up, I unplugged the fan, the noise stopped. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Try some 'Break Free' in the bearings, to free them up. if you haven't damaged the windings, it will run again. You can get the 'Break Free' at Wal-Mart in the gun department. It is a great teflon based penetrating oil that will free almost anything. Don't bother with WD-40, or other low grade oils, they will only make it harder to repair.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks for letting us know.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Damn! Is nothing made to last these days!

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Webtv is...

Reply to
PeterD

You're right! I haven't had one fail as a door stop yet. They do work better if you fill them with lead, though.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have fixed so many things with WD-40 in the past and I have just recently found out that the stuff can be dangerous in electrical appliances and devices. Turns out that the stuff is wickedly flammable :o( I have never had a fire as a result of using WD-40 but let's just say that I am good at learning from others. Anyone here ever have a problem with the stuff?

Claude

Reply to
Claude

You are about to open a can of worms here with the pro/ante WD40 brigade, suffice it to say that the manufacturers themselves don't recommend that you spray it into potentiometers or get it near electronic components.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Plaster is easier. Just mix some up, drill a hole in the top and pour it in; let set. Will effectively 'brick' almost anything....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Almost *everyone* has had 'some' sort of problem with it. Many won't admit it, though. I still keep a can around, but rarely use it....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I own at least thirteen more very, very old electric table fans and one of them has a brass blade on it, and I own two very, very old electric ceiling fans.I am wall to wall and ten feet tall with my very, very old thingys, some of them are real Antiques too.According to an article I once read in Antique Trader,

for something to be an Antique, the item(s) must be at least one hundred years old, or older.Seems reasonable to me.

Some of those old electric (and old non electric Fans) are very collectible.

Collectible Fans

I reckon the next time I go to the Wal Mart store, I will buy a new table electric fan.I don't want little doggy to poke her feet or nose in one of my old electric fans.That wouldn't be a Martha Stewart ''good thing'' cuhulin, the Fan man cuhulin, the Fan man

Reply to
cuhulin

Good idea! I'll have to try that out on the next mac computer I get. ;)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Yeah, well, don't forget to mask off any openings below the top first.

I've actually used this trick for things that I didn't want to fall over in the van...like trash cans. An inch or two in the bottom makes a fairly tip-proof solution for something like that.

I could see doing exactly as outlined as a unique doorstop; outdated game console or other obsolete and otherwise worthless electronica.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

It's good to remove adhesive labels from some surfaces, and to loan to pesky neighbors who always want to borrow stuff, and never return it. You can also light the charcoal, if you don't mind the funny taste. :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, there is that blue Imac sitting in the corner...

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It is also worthless as a lubricant. It was not designed to lubricate, in fact the "WD" stands for Water Displacement, and was intended to displace water from electrical drvices such as distributor caps.

Reply to
PeterD

When I was a teenager we used to use WD-40 as propellant in spud guns until I discovered starting fluid. While I haven't had any accidental fires with it, I did use spray adhesive to reattach the sound damping foam in the air blower (uses a brushed universal motor) for my hot tub and when I bench tested it I got a little boom and a 3' long flash of flame out the exhaust port when I powered it up before the glue had dried. I'm sure WD-40 would have done the same thing.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hernando's Hideway Song Midi

I remember some of the lyrics of that old song I haven't listened to since at least the early to mid 1950s.

At the Golden Fingerbowl or anywhere you go,,,, OLE! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It's a solvent and will wash the lube from anything you use it on with clearances bigger than say a watch. In pot shafts, it washes the silicon grease in the bushing that is responsible for the sexy feel of otherwise crap pot, ONTO THE ELEMENT!

Lubing pots is a tricky subject. What works on carbon may disolve conductive plastic. Washing the lube out of an old ceramic element pot may leave it working very well, for about 3 turns.

WD-40 is a hack substitute for what once was Electrolube 2agx?????? which at the time was legal, used Freon and layed down a lube layer.

Cramolin liquid and a toothpick are the better answer.

As far as WD-40 stories. I fixed my Father-in-Law's old printing time stamp. It was a beastly device with a large solinoid and open contacts connected to a live arm in the paperslot (no foil papers in his day).

I tested the device open and it kept time. I closed it and plugged it in. Later I took a Fax in to time stamp it. Fumes had accumulated in the housing. I shoved the fax in and the arc as I withdrew it set off the WD-40 which in turn set the fax on fire and burned all the hair off my arm. A true Adams Family device.

TMI