Gateway GM5066E help

I am trying to add a 2nd hard drive to this computer. I have installed the drive but the BIOS doesn't recognise it. any suggestions. ( I tried the add hardware in Windows too)

TIA

W.

Reply to
SXMWendell

Not enough information. Your computer uses SATA drives what kind of drive are you trying to use?

That doesn't apply to hard drives. You have to look at the CMOS settings to see if the motherboard recognizes it.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I am adding another Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 that I want to Ghost to this drive since the origional is flaky.

I looked in BIOS and it is set to automaticly look for the drives but doesn't show anything for this drive.

Reply to
SXMWendell

Do you have both cables (power & data) connected? Have you tried to see if the motherboard sees it as the primary drive? Does the bios let you turn off the second SATA port?

I can't find anything on the Hitachi website, but Seagate/Maxtor gives these instructions:

Configuring the BIOS

Close your computer case and restart your computer. Your computer may automatically detect your new drive. If your computer does not automatically detect your new drive, follow the steps below.

Restart your computer. While the computer restarts, run the system setup program (sometimes called BIOS or CMOS setup). This is usually done by pressing a special key, such as DELETE, ESC, or F1 during the startup process.

Within the system setup program, instruct the system to auto detect your new drive.

Save the settings and exit the setup program. When your computer restarts, it should recognize your new drive. If your system still doesn't recognize your new drive, see the troubleshooting section on the back of this sheet.

Note: Serial ATA is a new interface type. Some older systems may see the drive and classify it as a SCSI device if you are using a Serial ATA host adapter. This is normal even though this is not a SCSI disc drive. Many systems? BIOS will not identify a Serial ATA drive connected to a PCI SATA host adapter. This is because a PCI SATA Host Adapter has its own BIOS which is used to identify hard drives connected to it which is separate from the BIOS of the computer. To determine whether or not the SATA Host Adapter is detecting the Serial ATA hard drive, please consult the documentation provided by the Serial ATA Host Adapter?s manufacturer. This does not affect drive performance or capacity.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

BIOS setups often have two sets of controls. One set controls how the BIOS handles the setup for drives on the controllers it finds (e.g. whether it asks the drive for its configuration, or uses a manually- entered configuration). The other set controls which of the hard-drive controller ports on the motherboard are enabled.

It is possible that the latter setting in your BIOS is set to "Primary only" rather than "Both".

If this is the case, then the BIOS may very well be disabling the secondary port completely when it configures the chipset. The port wouldn't be active in the I/O register space, wouldn't connect to an interrupt, and wouldn't show up during the enumeration (scanning) of the PCI configuration space. The port (and any drive connected to it) simply "wouldn't exist" to the rest of the BIOS, or to the operating system.

Check the "Onboard peripherals" or "PCI peripherals" section of your BIOS configuration, and make sure that the onboard IDE/SATA configuration is set to "both".

If this is a dual-style (parallel-ATA and serial-ATA) motherboard, you

*might* have to disable the parallel-ATA port(s) in order to use both SATA ports... or, load a specialized driver to allow you to use three or more ports.
Dave Platt

The primary drive is at SATA port 0 in the bios. The cursor just jumps over SATA port 1 to 3 and master and slave settings. Trued changing all the settings in the drive setup Bios , no difference . All the settings in Bios are enable or automatic detect. There was no setting that could be changed to both.

W.

Reply to
SXMWendell

Course the Gateway site said there is in Bios a section to enter the drive typs , cylinders etc. Don't see any of that.\\\\

w.

Reply to
SXMWendell

I can't say I'm familar with that machine.

Here a few SATA controller basics to look at.

Be shure it is not set up as a raid controller but rather as Ide or compatable.

check your boot sequence settings because that sata port may be set to be ignored.

check each sata port's settings they usually are independent of each other so one setting isn't for all except raid which may include two or more ports.

Try booting with just the new drive connected to the working port and above all check and re-seat all drive cables in case one may not be fully inserted into the socket.

I hope this may help

Reply to
Gnack Nol

Ok here is what you do.

Make sure the SATA port you're trying to attach the drive to is enabled in BIOS.

If it is enabled and the drive is not seen by the BIOS, swap cables and attach the boot drive to the port. Is the boot drive seen?

If yes, swap cables only. Is the new drive seen now?

Yes - replace cable No - replace drive.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Quoted Snipped

Generally unlabled jumpers are dangerous, I really hate makers that go to such lengths just to be difficult and avoid proper documentation.

If the drive refused to be recognised using the working drive's cable and power connectors it's a safe bet it is in trouble. That's why substituting a non working unit for the working unit is a very important step in troubleshooting this.

Wanderer ( think I prevously forgot to include a sig sorry)

Reply to
Gnack Nol

I haven't been able to enable the drive in BIOS. The SATA ports are just read by the Bios, the cursor jumps past them when paging to the next line to configure. But the c:hard drive drive is listed at SATA port 0

W.

this

Reply to
redd

the

Reply to
redd

Well swap the boot drive to the port in question and see what happens. If the PC boots you have a defective drive or cable. Some mainboards allow control over individual SATA ports but most don't and have one setting for on/off for both ports.

The PC I use for internet boots from a 500 gigabyte external SATA drive and uses Kubuntu Linux. I have half the drive partitioned for XP (NTFS) storage and have a 320 gig internal SATA drive partitioned for linux and XP and boot the XP from the internal drive in a dual boot system :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Ah poor ProngTard does your buttz still hurt from the ass-whoopin I gave you?

heh

Reply to
Meat Plow

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 04:00:02 -0500, "redd" put finger to keyboard and composed:

AFAICT this is your motherboard manual (Intel D945GTP, NT94510J Cortez):

The 3-pin jumper is documented on page 65. It doesn't appear to be relevant to your problem.

I was wondering whether your motherboard had the earlier SATA interface, so I checked out the following documents and found some conflicting data, probably errors. For example, Intel's datasheet states that your motherboard supports SATA 2 (3G/s transfer rate), but Gateway's HDD spec refers to the SATA2 HD (3G/s) as having a Serial ATA-150 (1.5 G/s) interface. FWIW, Seagate and Maxtor drives have a

1.5GB/3GB jumper for backward compatibility with slower SATA interfaces, but I don't believe your Hitachi drive is so equipped.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar