HP Pavilion ZT1135 LCD Display Problem

We bought a HP ZT1135 laptop for my daughter when she went off to college a few years ago. With the exception of a failure of the IBM TravelStar HD (no surprise!), the unit has been very reliable. This past weekend a problem has developed relating to the LCD display. Here are the symptoms: the screen toggles from a normal display, to a totally white display, to a somewhat gray display with vertical rasters or vertical bars, and then back to a normal display . . . and, so on in this pattern on a cyclic basis.

I connected an external monitor to the DB-15 video connector, and the display on the external monitor is fine. I would presume this excludes the S3 video card from a potential failure cause of the LCD display problem.

Does anyone have any experience with such a failure with this type of symptoms? My first thought was the LCD's power inverter circuit module, but perhaps I should also look at the flex cable connecting the MB to the display. I must admit I didn't move the screen on its hinges in my initial look at the unit. Any suggestions or hints would certainly be appreciated, as she is in dire straits without her laptop. She's now a Senior, and in some tough classes!

TIA for any input.

Don W9CW

Reply to
Don Allen

Yes, the ribbon cables and their plugs and connectors should be your main suspects. Ususally a bad inverter would cause the screen to not light up at all ot to go completely black intermittently. With a bad inverter you could shine a bright light into the screen and maybe still see the images it should produce.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver