Removing a Fluorescent Display

My stereo receiver (a Sony STR-AV780) has a vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) which goes dim intermittently. I have replaced some electrolytic capacitors already which has helped but there is another one I'd like change. Unfortunately it is mounted UNDER the VFD. The display tube is about 7 by 2 inches and mounted in a dual-inline socket. The socket is not a zero-insertion-force model.

How do I remove and replace the glass display tube without damaging it?

Chuck

Reply to
Charles

I have worked on many Sony receivers with Fluorescent displays..... I am guessing that what you are thinking is a socket is really a spacer and the display is soldered directly to the pcb. .... simple enough, get your solder wick out and un-solder and remove the display. electricitym

Reply to
electricitym

Oooooh, I'll bet you're right.

I had considered doing that. It wouldn't take me too long and there's a much lower probability of damaging the display even if that spacer was a socket.

Thanks for the reply.

-- Chuck

Reply to
Charles

display.

much

socket.

Yeah give that a shot, those Radio Shack desoldering irons work pretty well for that sort of thing, one of the few worthwhile things they sell. Also if it has pins on both sides you may find that desoldering one side is sufficient to flip the display up and get to that cap.

Reply to
James Sweet

yup, I was going to say 'if in doubt just unsolder the socket'

Reply to
Dave Moore

for that sort of thing, one of the few worthwhile things they sell.

I've got my trusty Edsyn Silverstat Soldapullt at hand. It works well if I keep it clean and greased. (About twenty years ago the nice people at Clearco Products sent me a 2 ounce sample of their silicone grease. I love that stuff.)

sufficient to flip the display up and get to that cap.

Those pins look pretty stout and I think I need to heat up the pins anyway.

I took the cover off the receiver this morning to monitor some voltages. As luck would have it, the display, which was dim when the cover was on, is fine now.

This is beginning to smell like a cold solder joint. I had the same problem with a Sony TV a while back. Heavy components vibrate slightly while going over the solder bath on the conveyor. They keep vibrating while the solder cools. As I resoldered the connections to the flyback transformer of that TV receiver, one of the joints gave an audible crack as I relieved the tension on it. After that it quit eating the horizontal drive transistor.

Maybe the fluorescent display has the same problem.

-- Chuck

Reply to
Charles

I spent about two hours this afternoon removing the fluorescent display and replacing the electrolytic capacitor hidden underneath. electricitym was right. The display (a Futaba 1-519-392-11) was not socketed. It is soldered directly to the printed circuit board and held off the board by a plastic spacer.

There are about 80 connections to unsolder which didn't take long. The only hangup was releasing the spacer from the board. One of the three tabs which secures the spacer to the board was tight. I inspected and straightened all the pins on the display before reinserting it so lining the pins up to reinsert the display went well.

The display which was exhibiting some uneven illumination yesterday looks good.

-- Chuck

Reply to
Charles

the

Probably an Elna capacitor? Sony has a tendency to use those leaky s*ns of b*tches...

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

   Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

It was a Nichicon.

I have found a some failing electrolytics in this 18-year old unit but most have been okay. I still haven't found the cause of the dim display. The brightness was fine for a few hours but now it's back to uneven dimness. The power supplies are right where they should be so I'll have to go deeper and measure some voltages on the display board.

-- Chuck

Reply to
Charles

For people reading this thread in the archives, here's what I found as the cause of the dim display on my Sony STR-AV780 receiver. (This probably also applies to the STR-AV790 and STR-AV880 receivers.)

All the DC voltages on the fluorescent display appeared normal. Then I checked the AC voltage across pins 2 and 75 of the display while it was dim. It was 3.1 volts. The correct value is not marked on the schematic so I waited until the display was at full brightness. Now the voltmeter read 4.6 volts! I was able to correct the dim display by tugging on the cable attached to connector CNJ33 at the main board. Then I found that a little push on the 1.5 ohm resistor R818 which is in series with the power supply circuit to the display also brought back full brightness.

I resoldered all the connections in the area of the resistor. It seems to have fixed the problem. I'll watch it for a few days before I put the cover back on.

Reply to
Charles