How to resolder a cold solder connection?

Most of them aren't likely to know anything more than which end of the hot soldering iron to pick up, let alone the various failure modes of soldered connections.

Michael A. Terrell

My last bottle is about 25 years old. I bought four quart bottles of it for $2.50 each from a surplus store in Dayton, Ohio. The others have been used up.

Michael A. Terrell

Right. I'm happy they know which part is bad, roughly how to fix it, and the write webpages for people like me.

Reply to
micky

I hate to say this but none of my solder is marked R, RMA, or RA. The labels says nothing except that they have rosin.

Radio Shack solder mostly. I've used up other things I had.

Also the Radio Shack flux paste doesn't have an R-rating. It says nothing about what kind of flux it is.

But the repair today was postponed, so I have time to go farther away and buy liquid flus. I have another errand to do nearby.

I can do that.

I can do that. It's still necessary with liquid, right?

Does that also have to be R, RMA, or RA?

Reply to
micky

Then it is very probably R (rosin only) RMA (rosin mildly activated) or RA (rosin activated). No worries.

If it is the SP-44 stuff, you are in luck because it is compatible:

As Smitty Two says, you *can* thin your paste with

99% alcohol. I just find the Kester product to be very convenient.

Yes indeed. Extra points are rewarded for cleanliness.

Yup. Most specifically NOT 'acid' or 'plumbing' flux. Sorry for shouting but we don't want your relay to turn green and fall apart.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Gotcha! You and Smitty Two.

Reply to
micky

I'd put in a plug for RA flux. I have a lot of old parts that I still use a lot (e.g. over 10,000 RN55C resistors), and RA flux makes them solder like new.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Okay, I'll see what they sell.

Reply to
micky

That'll work! My fave Kester 186 is RMA and it does a stellar job as well.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston