How to mod a heat gun to blow cold?

My 1500 Watt heat gun has 2 settings, 630* F and 1000* F.

The fan motor is a 17 VDC motor and there is a 4 diode bridge rectifier mounted on it.

On Low the AC plug measures ~ 15 Ohms

On High it measures ~10 Ohms.

I would like it to run on High when heat is needed, and when I switch to Low, I would like the fan speed to remain high but with no heat (for cooling).

How can I determine the fan motor current in order to calculate the appropriate dropping resistor?

Am I missing something here?

Is there an easy way to do it?

Reply to
stu

IIRC some of these use the heat element to drop the motor voltage via a tap so you are SOL on this.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Yes, I understand whatg you are saying.

However, I have a hair dryer with a cold setting.

It should be the same principle.

Reply to
stu

Yes, I understand what you are saying.

However, I have a hair dryer and it has a cool setting.

It should be the same principle asmy heat gun.

Reply to
stu

Why?

A hair dryer wants the cool setting, so they design it that way.

There is no conceivable reason why a heat gun would need a no-heat setting. It's purpose is to generate heat, and nothing else.

If you want a fan with no heat, then use the hair dryer.

I would also suggest that no heat is not the same thing as cooling. Turning off the heat element in a heat gun is just a fan, sort of some cooling effect but nothing dramatic.

The opposite of a heat gun would be a bun with a fan and some sort of cooling element.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

A conceiveble way; use the heat gun to roast coffee.

(Google heat gun roasting.)

The 'cool' setting allows one to cool the beans.

Cooling means to lower the temperature from where it is, not necessarily below RT.

A helpful suggestion would be preferable to criticizing the question.

Reply to
stu

Many times the most helpful suggestion is to criticize the question. However try a 4.7K resistor and measure the voltage on the motor. That'll be a clue to the best value.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

That's a prett5y good idea.

Thanks.

BTW can you please explain how the heating coils control the voltage/current to the motor?

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the 13 Amps going through the coil do not also go through the motor.

Reply to
stu

Yep

Yep. The heating coil drops 120 VAC over its length. There is a tap at, say,

15 VAC. This feeds the rectifiers and the motor. Older models used a 120 VAC motor but this is cheaper.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Just like the dropper resistors in the heater chain of an old AC/DC tube radio.

Reply to
ian field

I have to check my heat gun - it's been a while since I've used it - due to too many other projects not requiring it. Anyway, I "believe" MY heat gun "did" come with a "cool" setting. I'll let you know. IF IT DID, I'll give you the make of it. But in the mean time, I "think" I bought it from MCM electronics, if I'm not mistaken. Though they may not sell "that" model anymore.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

Mine has a cool setting which I've only ever used to cool down the heat gun before putting it away, still I've managed to melt some stuff to the metal barrel. It uses an AC fan motor.

Reply to
James Sweet

O.K. I understand the tap at ~15 Volts. The low current (~ 100 Ma) does not load the parallel tap. However, how do you run the fan motor with the coil not supplying heat?

I do not see a resistor in my 1600 Watt hair dryer which has a push button cool switch.

AAMOF The cool postion of the hair dryer is a little warmer body temp (some coil heat).

One way to achieve a cooler air stream is to series connect the 2 coils.

Higher resitance coil - low Heat. Higher ressistance and lower resistance coils in parallel for max heat. (or just use lower resistance coil by itself) Both coils in series for mostly fan.

Reply to
stu

Maybe you have an AC motor?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Or a 120VDC motor, I've seen them in paper shredders.

Reply to
James Sweet

Nope. A 4 diode bridge.

Reply to
stu

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aaronj.com (known to some as snipped-for-privacy@aaronj.com) scribed...

Point of interest: The Ungar 6966C heat gun has both 'Hot' and 'Cold' settings designed right in.

Happy heating.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)