how to remove striped allen screw?

Here`s a method that might work. Anyone who repairs video recorders has a sizeable collection of small allen keys. Get the nearest larger (either metric or non metric) - depending on what the original is, you might find that it`s only marginally bigger than the original hole and wont quite fit in. Freeze it with your trusty freezer spray and hopefully it will push in. let it warm up back to room temperature, and with a bit of luck, it just might grip enough to get the grub screw moving.

As the professor said, It`s a long shot, but it might just work.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Electrical-Discharge Machining (EDM)

Homer J Simpson

I use Torex tips, Just jam them in.. other tricks I've done is put a very small spot of expoxy on the end of the key wrench and stick it in the head and let it set.., then turn out the screw and replace it.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Take the next-larger size hex wrench (if it's a metric, be sure to check inch-sizes, too, for a close fit; if inch, check metric). Grind it down just enough to jamb it in the stripped hole. Unscrew.

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net

When I run into such a screw, I just use a pair of diagonal cutters, one blade in the hole and the other on the outside circumference. I've always had enough grip that way to get the screw broken free and turning.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

My guestion is why was the OP using allen screws that had stripes on them?

Reply to
UCLAN

MIL-SPEC I suppose.

-- #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007 #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007 #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007 #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004 COOSN-266-06-25794

Reply to
Meat Plow

How else would you apply the fudge coating?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

They were racing screws. The stripes add ten horsepower.

--
                Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.
                     That's why stereo has two channels.

Reply to
dansawyeror