How to open Samsung SyncMaster 957p?

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 957p that would need some focus adjustment, but I can't seem to open the case.

There are two screws near the bottom. Opening them makes the bottom end loose, but the top seems to be as fixed as ever. I'm afraid I'm going to snap some hidden plastic clips (or something) off if I just try to force it. Is there some known trick that needs to be employed in order to open this case?

--
znark
Reply to

yes

There are typically two tangs holding the top of the backshell to the front panel surround. Use a small screwdriver or similar tool and press it through the centre of each "area of resistance" in a *horizontal* (wrt the normal monitor orientation) direction.

Take care, and once you have it apart you'll see how it all happens. Second time around it'll be a breeze.

Reply to
budgie

I overlooked the tiny slits on the sides first, but just as you said, sticking a screwdriver into them made the case pop open quite easily. Thanks.

The flyback had the usual "F1" and "F2" adjustments for focus. I got quite a good picture out of the thing by tweaking them. (I believe the monitor must have been maladjusted already at the factory as it has always had a bit soft picture before.)

The odd thing I noticed was that the "S" ("screen") adjustment for brightness / black level control was nowhere to be found. There was a place for it on the side of the flyback transformer, right below the F1 and F2 pots - and it was even marked with an "S" - but no hole or knob. I wonder why's that? How _do_ you adjust black level on this monitor if need be?

--
znark
Reply to

Had me fooled the first time too ;-)

I can't help on that.. I've never seen that series of monitors.

Reply to
budgie