How to open a LINKSYS/CISCO WAG160N or WRT54G2

Can someone please shine a light on how to open this new style linksys casings .

Is it possible to make external antenna connectors ??

thanks

nitro2

Reply to
nitro2

Well if it was assembled it can be disassembled. My guess is the joined parts are latched. If you can figure out where you can open it without much damage. As far as an external antenna goes, you can add one to just about anything with either a coax and SMB plug and jack or just a length of wire cut to an increment of 2.4 ghz.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Find the FCC ID number on the serial number sticker. Go unto:

and inscribe the number into the form. It should product the FCC type certification documentation which includes photos of the inside of the products. That should give you a clue as to how it's assembled.

Also:

Sure. See the two coax cables in the photo above? Add RP-SMA connectors and a pigtail and you have external antennas. Just don't tell the FCC that I told you so.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry, you have no access to this site..... Duuuu...

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

No clue what might be wrong. Both the above URL's work for me on two different machine. You might want to check if your web browser is mangling or wrapping the URL or that your router, ISP, or government is blocking access to the FCC or to SmallNetBuilder.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry, but you don't have permission to access /images/stories/wireless/linksys_wrt54g2_wrt110/linksys_wrt54g2v1_board.jpg on this site.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

No mangling, The site tells me I have no permission, I presume there is a login required.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Same here.

I have a hunch that SmallNetBuilder's web server may be set up to forbid access to images, unless the image is being referenced from within another document which was served from their site (i.e. they're checking the Referer header in the HTTP request). This is done, by some sites, in order to prevent other sites from linking directly to the site's content and imagery and bypassing their higher-level document structure (a.k.a. "leeching" images).

What's the actual click-path needed to navigate from

to the article which has this image in it?

Dave Platt

Here it is:

JB

I don't think so. The SmallNetBuilder web pile seems to have been revised recently. It looks very different now. I'm also having problems finding articles that I know were previously there. My guess(tm) is that I somehow referenced an earlier version of the article's URL, instead of the new and allegedly improved URL. Here's the image again using the new sites URL form:

I just tried it on a virgin web browser (on my Ubunto laptop) that did not view the main article previously. Works for me.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Look for screws hidden under the feet. After that, you should be able to unclip the rest of the case.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter