Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp

I inherited a repair job that I can't get started because I can't get the damn amp open.

It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a tough little unit, with a die-cast metal chassis set into a thick rugged plastic (polypropylene?) case, that can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to this one:

The front of the chassis has

6 screws into the case, and there's one on the back I removed, but I still can't get the chassis out of the case. I tried prying the case, thinking there might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck, and I didn't want to risk chewing up the edge of the case.

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4c8db73c$0$2395$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

I have noticed that sometimes there is a screw (or more than one) under one (or more) stick-on label(s).

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I get on the Internet."
- a 21st Century Moron

Specifically, No....But I have sometimes found that they like to hide screws underneath the pasted on rubber feet, so you might investigate that. Also, inspect the cover carefully to see exactly which panels are welded to what other panels, and you might get a clue as to where the screws have to be in order for it to come apart......

Reply to
Bill Graham

On 9/12/2010 11:17 PM Bill Graham spake thus:

Nope, no feet on the bottom.

Nothing's welded to anything. Just a diecast chassis set into a plastic case that surrounds it.

David Nebenzahl

On 9/12/2010 10:47 PM thanatoid spake thus:

Good idea, but no screws lurking underneath labels here.

David Nebenzahl

screws

Tapping all over with screwdriver handle listening for tight spots?

Reply to
N_Cook

Try emailing Galaxy and asking them ? They can only say no ...

Head up your email "Urgent - Please Pass to Service Department" You might strike lucky and get a secretary that prints it out and passes it on without 'filtering' it. In my experience, most engineers don't mind helping others, and unless the company has a really strict 'no help' policy, quite often if you can get as far as direct communication with an engineer, you can get the information you need.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Sometimes loudspeakers (I see this product as a powered loudspeaker) are entered by removing the largest driver.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

You don't have the intelligence to open a can of soup.

stupid x-post to RAT defeated.

Meat Plow

As usual, when you have absolutely nothing of value to contribute, you go right ahead and inject your vulgar, insipid banalities anyway.

Reply to
Spamm Trappe

On 9/13/2010 4:41 AM Arny Krueger spake thus:

Sorry, not helpful. Everything, including the largest (and only) driver, is behind the diecast front panel/chassis. Nothing accessible from the front except for the 6 screws I've removed.

David Nebenzahl

On 9/13/2010 7:57 AM Spamm Trappe spake thus:

Thank you for that. I know I'm certainly not alone here in my opinion of Meat Head.

David Nebenzahl

On 9/13/2010 1:13 AM Arfa Daily spake thus:

Fine idea, and was my next tactic. As you say, what have I got to lose? It'll be interesting to see what kind of response I'll get. I've had good luck with this approach in the past.

David Nebenzahl

Do the control knobs on the front come off to reveal spindle nuts?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Hell, it's all the life that meaty has...

Reply to
PeterD

Hi!

It will be interesting. Please do post back with their response.

Looking at the unit, I wondered if perhaps the cabinet was snapped together internally at assembly time. I saw what to me looked like a seam line, but the photos weren't really high resolution enough to tell.

If that's true, it may mean that opening the unit will mar the finish or break some/all of the things holding it together.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Try fitting a piece of paper through the crack to see if it really is a separate piece of metal.....Reminds me of the wooden beams that "hold up" my living room ceiling.....Until I was able to put a sheet of paper between the wall and the end of the beam.....turns out that its the other way around....The ceiling is holding up the beams....:^)

Reply to
Bill Graham

snipped-for-privacy@i17g2000vbq.googlegroups.com...

my

the

Try dropping it if you don't hear from the manufacturer.

Reply to
hrhofmann

At least no one has suggested a Plsma Cutter! ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A ring cutter yes, as a last resort, to make an inspection hole. Somewhere there is unlikely to be active stuff and where a blanking plate could be fixed over the hole and maybe another hole if the first reveals nothing useful. Where an "endoscope" would be useful.

I'm assuming you've run a piece of rounded off dowel over any decals for covered screwpoint recesses.

Reply to
N_Cook