How many times has it happened to you ? "It does not transist".

This year, KP EXR something Sony with the PS under the HV board. You know the one, they continued the chassis line in the XBR line a bit longer. I believe they are 2SC4582s, and they both checked good on the ohmmeter. Of course a bipolar transistor is a three layer device, and did check good as such. It just did not amplify.

A couple years ago I had a Hitachi or Toshiba HDTV that had never had anything plugged into the "colorstream". The symptom was that there was no red on component inputs. It was a bitch to troubleshoot even with the print. I traced it to a regular bipolar transistor that also checked just fine as a three layer device yet did not transist. In fact, I didn't lift the base because it was an SMD and I erroneously changed the IC that fed it !

These are times when a meter just won't work, you need to see the difference between the B and E waveforms, look at that and the load and know what the collector waveform should be. But even that wouldn't find this.

So how many have run across this "It does not transist" ?.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

I expect most of us have. This is handled simply by using ac and a logic gate to test trs with instead of or as well as a dc test. You should see switched current waveform on the collector, the idea of the logic is if i flows when it shouldnt, you get a fail reading. The logic only passes the tr when i b gives i c and no i b gives no i c.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:32:47 -0800, ZZactly Has Frothed:

A few times, mostly in older amateur radio receivers. However I chilled the device and got gain back in that particular stage of the circuit.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow