HK PM 655 problem with right channel

I have a Harman Kardon PM 955 and the right channel is working intermittently. It works ok when first turned on, then after awhile it starts to cut out and then quits working all together. My question is this, would this be hard to diagnose/repair for a novice? I consider myself mechanically inclined and I'm willing to attempt the repair if it's not overly complex. Secondly, if this requires more expertise will it require genuine HK parts that may not be available (the unit is approximately 20 years old) or could this be repaired with generic electronic components?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Savoy

Open amp, prod around gently with an insulated tool to find the spot most senitive to prodding. You should be able to narrow it down to a single wire or single joint. Resolder the bad solder joint, which is what it will be in 99% of cases.

Beware of the live bits in there, dont do if youre not capable of working on live things safely.

99.5% likely all generic parts.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

HK's are fairly notorious for the tape monitor and filter switches cutting out. Try manipulating (slightly pushing or tapping) these switches when your problem occurs. I think you'll find your problem is in these switches.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Reply to
swohlfarth

HK's rarely use relays - not sure why, except for cost. They did often use little black circuit breakers at the amp outputs, but they rarely failed because they were always ON except when triggered.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias